The Gold Standard of Fiber and Textile Art at the Westbeth Art Gallery
The Textile Study Group of New York
Grand Central Station
PO Box 3592
New York, NY 10163
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
State: New York
Event Dates: 2/5/20 - 2/23/20
Entry Deadline: 11/24/19
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
The Textile Study Group of New York, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation registered with New York State. The mission of TSGNY is to educate and promote a wider appreciation of fiber art among the larger art community and the public in general and to inspire and support artists who share a mutual commitment to fiber as a medium for artistic expression. To join or renew your membership click here: TSGNY.
Juror: Lauren Whitley is senior curator in the David and Roberta Logie Department of Textile and Fashion Arts at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, where she helps oversee a global collection of 55,000 textiles, costumes, and fashion accessories. She has curated more than fourteen exhibitions including #techstyle, Hippie Chic, Ed Rossbach Fiber Art, and Threads on the Edge: Fiber Art from the Daphne Farago Collection. Ms. Whitley holds an M.A. degree from the Fashion Institute of Technology, NY, and received her B.A. in Art History from Trinity College in Hartford, CT. She is currently a Ph.D. candidate in Humanities at Salve Regina University in Rhode Island where she is focusing her research on textiles at the 1933 New York World’s Fair.
Venue: The Westbeth Art Gallery, 55 Bethune Street, New York, NY 10014
The gallery is open Wednesday – Sunday: 1-6pm; closed Monday and Tuesday. There will be a reception open to the public on Wednesday evening, February 5, 2020.
Dates: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 to Sunday, February 23, 2020.
Submission deadline: Sun. Nov 24, 2019
Acceptance notification: Fri. Dec 20, 2019
Artwork delivered: Tues. Jan 28, 2020, 5-7PM or Wed. Jan 29, 2020, 9AM-5PM
Show opens: Wed. Feb 5, 2020 (with reception)
Show closes: Sun. Feb 23, 2020
Pick up of work: Sun. Feb 23, 2020, 6-10PM
Shipped artwork: Begins Mon. Feb 24-25, 2020
Eligibility: All 2019-2020 full members of TSGNY are eligible to enter this juried exhibition. Newsletter members must upgrade to full membership in order to be eligible. If you are not a current member, you may participate in the exhibition by joining online. Each member may submit three works (and a detail image for each work).
Entry Fee: $40 (non-refundable).
Wall/Floor Works: Two-dimensional works, including quilts, tapestries, weavings, carpets, or works in any other fiber-related medium or techniques that are intended for wall or floor display.
Sculptural Works: Three-dimensional works in fiber, including paper.
Vessel Forms/Basketry: Functional work and sculptural expressions of the vessel form.
Wearables: Body adornments, including wearable art clothing, accessories and jewelry.
- Artist must be a FULL member of TSGNY. See JOIN TSGNY for membership information.
- All work must include either fiber in content or be executed with at least one fiber technique.
- Up to three (3) original works (including a detail image for each work) may be submitted per artist for a non-refundable entry fee of $40.
- In addition to wall pieces, 3D and freestanding works will be considered.
- Entries must be original work completed within the last five years
(after Jan. 1, 2015).
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older.
- Wall piece size: No minimum, maximum width 80” / maximum height 90” / maximum depth 10”.
- Wall-hung work must include a label on the back, 3D pieces labeled on the bottom, with the title, the artist’s name and contact information.
- Artwork must be of a professional standard and ready to hang.
- No work can be suspended from the ceiling.
- Because of the short turnover between exhibitions, the gallery is unable to present work that requires extensive installation. This includes the drilling of wall mounts. OOKs or small nails are used to hang the work. Pedestals are available for display.
- The Gallery suggests approximately 70 pieces will be selected.
- Collaborative work should be submitted under the combined names of the artists, all of whom must be TSGNY members. (If you enter collaborative work, you may not enter as an individual also.)
- Any entries that do not adhere to these guidelines will not be considered.
Transportation of artwork
Shipping, delivery and insurance charges to and from the Westbeth Art Gallery are the responsibility of the artist.
Delivery of Work
Detailed Instructions for hand delivery or shipping of accepted work will be sent to all entrants by December 20, 2019. If return shipping is required, a prepaid shipping label (FedEx or UPS ONLY...no USPS) MUST be included with work.
Submission of Digital Images
(REVISED TO MEET CAFE MANAGEMENT's REQUIREMENTS)
Submit one overall digital image and one detail digital image for each artwork.
Digital images must be JPEG or JPG files, at least 270 dpi, 1200 pixels on the longest side, and under 5MG. (No TIFF files).
File should be labeled with the artist’s name and title of work, (E.Smith_Three Figures).
Sale of Work
Artwork should be priced to include a 35% commission. Work must remain on view until the exhibition closes.
Every care will be taken to safeguard exhibited works. Insurance coverage while on exhibit will be provided by the venue. Artists should insure their own work while in transit.