1710 Lavaca Street, Austin, TX, 78701
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 1/10/20
Images - Minimum: 6, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 4
Total Media - Minimum: 10, Maximum: 10
Women & Their Work (W&TW) seeks artists who create innovative contemporary art that breaks new ground in its approach to form, content, and ideas. Selections are based on an evaluation of work samples submitted and ideas proposed; we look for a strong, consistent aesthetic vision. Recently created work in all media will be considered. We strongly encourage selected artists to create new work for their exhibition at W&TW; no work that has previously been exhibited in Austin will be accepted for exhibition. The work in the application should demonstrate that you are capable in vision and scope of creating a powerful solo exhibition that can command an approximately 1,700 square foot gallery space.
Women artists living anywhere in Texas who have not had a solo exhibition at W&TW within the past ten years are eligible.
Emerging, mid-career, and established artists are invited to apply. We strive for diverse experiences and perspectives. Women of color are especially encouraged to apply. We use an inclusive definition of “woman” and welcome any artists who identify as women in a way that is significant to them.
Applicants cannot currently be enrolled in undergraduate or graduate education. Membership with W&TW is not a requirement nor is it a consideration in the application process.
- 10 work samples - All 10 samples may be images of 2D/3D work, or up to 4 samples may be videos of time-based work. We will only be able to view 3 minutes of each video so please prepare files accordingly. Select your images/videos with great care as they are the primary basis of our selection process. Prioritize recent, strong work that communicates well through documentation and that is emblematic of the quality of work proposed. Please note: the CaFE platform includes "price" as a required field when uploading artworks. W&TW does not need this information and welcomes artists to enter "0" for the price section.
- Artist Statement - Include a one-page (up to 3000 characters including spaces) statement describing your work, your aesthetic vision, and your proposal for a future solo exhibition with W&TW.
- Resume - Upload a current resume or CV.
- Application Fee - A $15 processing fee is required. This fee helps us offset CaFE platform costs.
Our current gallery space is approximately 1,700 square feet with 10.5 feet high ceilings, track lighting and six moveable walls. In the event of a location change, we will communicate updated gallery dimensions to artists with sufficient notice. Projectors, media players, and sound equipment are available.
The jury panel will be comprised of arts professionals, W&TW artist alumnae, and gallery staff. Every application is carefully reviewed, considered and discussed.
Applicants will be notified by email by February 17, 2020. Please do not seek information on the status of your application prior to the notification date.
- Honorarium - Women & Their Work will award selected artists an honorarium of $1,500. Our gallery staff will work with the artist to help them achieve all aspects of their vision.
- Curatorial Advisor – We provide a modest honorarium for a Curatorial Advisor of the artist’s choosing. This may be someone who meets with the artist for studio visits as the work develops, offers guidance on installation of the work, or offers other assistance.
- Catalog - We will publish a color catalog for the exhibition featuring a commissioned essay and images of the artwork.
- Video – We will produce a six-minute video of the artist discussing their work which is featured as supplemental material in the gallery and on our website.
- Public Program (optional) – With the artist's guidance, we will organize a public program to take place during the run of the exhibition. This could be a panel conversation, performance, workshop, etc.
Artists receive 75% of the sale price of any work sold during their exhibition. There is no requirement to make work available for sale or to make “sellable work.”
LIABILITY & AGREEMENT
Women & Their Work agrees to insure artwork while in its custody. Artists are responsible for transportation of artwork to and from W&TW gallery. Artists agree to exhibit work that has not previously been shown in Austin.
APPLICATION SUPPORT & DEADLINE
Please upload your application by January 10, 2020 at 11:59pm CST. Late applications will not be accepted. We encourage you to begin your application early.
Please contact CaFE tech support for technical and platform-related assistance. For clarification on guidelines, encouragement, or internet access, contact W&TW for support during weekdays 10am-6pm. firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 477-1064. We appreciate this opportunity to view your work.
Women & Their Work is a nonprofit arts organization that serves as a catalyst for contemporary art created by women living and working in Texas and beyond. For over 40 years, Women & Their Work has brought groundbreaking art to Austin, with exhibitions, performances, and education programs.
Known for our pioneering spirit, embrace of artistic innovation, and commitment to Texas audiences and artists, our goal is to enrich the cultural experience for Texas by emphasizing the value of art by women, educating audiences of all ages about contemporary art, equipping artists with financial and technical support, and engaging the community through diverse exhibitions and programs.