625 S Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Photography
Entry Deadline: 12/27/19
Days remaining to deadline: 21
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 10
Portraiture is a foundational photographic genre. It is a means of defining ourselves visually. But, how do we define ourselves beyond our physical presence? Can the definition of portrait expand to include what lies beyond our physicality to include passions, fears, places we live, the car we drive, the food we eat? Can photography convey who we are without including the human form?
For this open call, we invite you to submit work that demonstrates your understanding and interpretation of portraiture as an expansive genre, not one strictly defined by the presence of a human subject.
Eligibility & Media
- Open to artists residing in the U.S.
- Contemporary original photographic or video work
- Photos should not exceed a framed size of 48” in the longest dimension.
- Videos must be 5 min or shorter (this work will rotate on a monitor installed in the gallery with other accepted work)
- All work must be original, produced within the last three years and not previously shown at Axis Gallery.
Roula Seikaly is an independent curator and writer based in Berkeley, CA, and Senior Editor at Humble Arts Foundation. Her curatorial practice addresses contemporary photography and new media, social justice efforts in contemporary art and exhibition making. She regularly contributes to print and online platforms including Hyperallergic, Photograph, BOMB, and KQED Arts.
Please submit JPEG and video files. Prepare your files according to the CaFÉ guidelines.
$35 for three images/videos, additional entries $10.00 each, limit 10
Videos are limited to a total of 3
- December 27, 10:59 PM PST: Entry due
- Late January 2020: Notification of acceptance by email, and on the CaFÉ site
- February 24–29: Shipped work to arrive
- February 28–March 1, 12–5 pm: Hand delivery to Axis Gallery
- March 6: Exhibition Opens
- March 14: Second Saturday Reception, 6 pm
- April 26: Exhibition Closes
- Shipped work returned at close of exhibition.
- April 26 from 5–6 pm or by appointment: Hand-delivered work pickup
- Sales are encouraged. The gallery will retain 40% commission on any work sold.
- Price of work should include commission to gallery.
Insurance & Liability
- Work will be insured at Axis Gallery but not in transit.
- The gallery will not assume responsibility for work improperly framed or poorly packaged for shipping.
- Images of accepted work may be used for promotional purposes and be featured in an exhibition catalog.
- Shipping instructions will be emailed following the jury process.
- Email Axis Gallery: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Space
Axis Gallery is an artist-run space that has been in operation for over 30 years, with a national reputation for bringing contemporary and challenging exhibitions to Sacramento. The gallery is dedicated to the highest standards of excellence in the selection and presentation of works of art.