P.O. Box 770
Keller, TX 76244
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 3/9/20
Number of Applications Allowed: 5
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
The Keller Public Arts Board is seeking six sculptures that are appropriate for public viewing and support the family friendly atmosphere of the City of Keller. Sculptures remain under the artist’s ownership and are loaned to the exhibit for a two-year period. All sculptures must be “family appropriate” and pose no risk to public safety; no sexual, bloody or violent content shall be accepted. Sculptures must be made of materials that can withstand the harsh Texas weather and require no maintenance by the City of Keller. Pieces sold while on display may be removed but the artist must replace the sold artwork with a different sculpture, with approval by the Board, within 60 days of removal of the sold piece.
A $1,500 honorarium shall be awarded for each piece for the installation, exhibition and removal of the artwork for a two-year period. One-half of the stipend will be provided to the artist upon selection and the remainder shall be paid upon successful installation. The existing 5’x5’ concrete pads shall be used for display and the City of Keller may provide some assistance with installation and removal of the artwork. One Best in Show winner shall be awarded an additional $500.
The Keller Public Arts Board aims to install sculptures that are diverse in style and media. The Board hopes to expose the local community to different types of art, increase tourism and encourage visitors to the Old Town area by providing a dynamic and engaging exhibit.
ARTWORK LOCATION DESCRIPTION
The Old Town Keller West area is located on the west side of U. S. Highway 377 near the city’s border with Fort Worth. Please see Exhibit A for sculpture pad locations. The Keller Public Arts Board has sole discretion on site selection for each sculpture.
The Old Town Keller area originally developed along the railroad tracks that served as the impetus for the founding of Keller. Once the site of a bustling train depot, city leaders now aim to establish Old Town as a destination for pedestrian-oriented businesses offering a variety of shopping, dining and other services.
Artists must reside in Texas. All works must be original.
- Base must fit on 5’x5’ concrete pad.
- Max Height of 12’
- Max Weight 2,500 pounds
- Sculpture must be ready for installation no later than June 1, 2020 (exact installation date shall be coordinated with City of Keller staff).
- One sculpture submission per application, 5 applications per artist limit – PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT IMAGES OF MORE THAN ONE SCULPTURE PER APPLICATION
- Artist Statement: 1000-word maximum
- Sculpture Description*: 1000-word maximum
*Sculpture description should include the following information:
- Title and statement on piece
- Size (height, width, length and weight)
- Year completed
- Purchase price
- Information on how piece will be installed and any special considerations (need for forklift, etc.)
- Location(s) and total number of current and future copies of the proposed sculpture(s)