Contact Email: email@example.com
Number of Applications Allowed: 20
Entry Fee (The Woodlands Arts Council Phase IV-B): $40.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 4, Maximum:Max. 10
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 4, Maximum:Max. 10
REFERENCE MATERIAL TO COMPLETE APPLICATION: Review the photos, videos and reference material of the available site locations on The Woodlands Arts Council website HERE.
The Woodlands Arts Council (TWAC) Phase IV-B Public Art Benches in The Woodlands Arts District
The Woodlands Arts Council invites local, national and international artists to apply for the next installation of the Woodlands Art Bench outdoor permanent collection located in The Woodlands, Texas, USA.
Phase IV-B of this public art project will feature four (4) new art benches to be installed along The Woodlands Waterway adjacent to The Cynthia Woods-Mitchell Pavilion (Ranked #3 Best Music & Outdoor amphitheater in the world). Through a partnership with The Woodlands Township and the generous funding of underwriters, twenty Art Benches have been commissioned and installed along The Woodlands Waterway and in the Hughes Landing commercial area adjacent to Lake Woodlands. Designed by local, national, and international artists, these one-of-a-kind art benches add beauty to our community while serving a practical function.
The Woodlands, Texas is an award-winning, master-planned community of more than 100,000 residents. Located 40 miles north of Houston, The Woodlands has a strong history of public art. The Woodlands is an aesthetically unique district, with its natural landscapes and waterway backdrop. We challenge the artists to conceptualize work that can highlight their own vision in conjunction with both the underwriter and these unique chosen sites.
The Woodlands Arts Council, Inc. (TWAC) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation whose mission is to provide regional, cultural, and educational enrichment opportunities that encourage, support, and promote the performing and visual arts.
Apply Online at www.CallforEntry.org. It is FREE to register for an account with CaFE.
This Call to Artists is for Four (4) individual art benches in four separate locations.
Site Location #1 (Underwriters Jon & Amy Gibbs) Lower Basin. Grassy area just off dock between two waterfalls closest to Riva Row on The Woodlands Waterway.
Site Location #2 (Underwriters Sparky & Debbie Gullo) Lower Town Green Park. Sidewalk leading to south side of The Woodlands Waterway (replaces existing bench).
Site Location #3 (Underwriters The Dickens Family) South side of The Woodlands Waterway at Riva Row Trolley/Boat Stop, across from Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion (replaces existing bench).
Site Location #4 (Underwriters Doug & Beth Grijalva) South side of the South Montgomery County Library overlooking the Waterway replacing an existing stone and wood bench.
All artists, including, but not limited to, sculptors, architects, and other bench builders are eligible to submit up to three applications per location site. There are no geographic limitations. Artists from any state or country are encouraged to respond to this Call to Artists.
Three (3) semi-finalists will be chosen for each bench location in a preliminary selection process. Each semi-finalist will receive a $300 stipend. One (1) finalist for each location will be chosen to construct an art bench; each of the four finalists will receive $8,000 for bench selected and installed ($4,000 upon execution of Artist Agreement and the final $4,000 when Bench is delivered and accepted).
Artists are encouraged to visit the bench location but are not required to do so.
Bench must be constructed of highly durable materials that will be easy to maintain in a hot, humid, sunny, semi-tropical environment for at least five (5) years. Ideally, the bench will be able to be maintained by power-washing.
Artist will supply The Woodlands Township with necessary information for proper conservation. If maintenance work becomes necessary for an installed work the Township will contact the artist to discuss a course of action.
The Township may, at its discretion, offer repair of damaged works where mechanical fasteners, anchors or similar have come loose, with approval from the artist.
The art bench must be an original piece created for The Woodlands Art Bench competition
All works will be in public areas, as such, must not present a danger to public safety, health or welfare.
Designs should be comfortable and safe for at least 3 people to sit on.
Benches should not be enticing to skateboarders.
Benches will be bolted into concrete for installation. Design must reflect this.
Final bench design must be approved from those who maintain ownership or easement interests in the location site, as well as, Howard Hughes Corporation and The Woodlands Commercial Standards Committee.
Artists are encouraged to work conceptually with the chosen site and the underwriter’s vision. (Underwriters questionnaire for each site is found on The Woodlands Arts Council website page for Public Art. See link below).
REFERENCE MATERIAL TO COMPLETE APPLICATION: Review the photos, videos and reference material of the available site locations on The Woodlands Arts Council website HERE and select up to four site locations.
Application includes the following:
1) Artist’s Statement of Intent: briefly describe your interest in The Woodlands Public Art Bench project. Include a general description of the artistic approach you will take if selected to create a design. Include enough information to the Committee about how your work will result in a viable project, but it need not include detail of the design.
2) Proposed Build Plan: This is a general proposal for build plan. If selected as a semi-finalist, a detailed plan may be requested. This proposal must include the proposed site location and how your vision fits within the underwriter's vision.
3) Professional Resume of your experience as an artist. Artists in all stages of their career are encouraged to apply.
4) Professional References: Provide three references from people who have worked with you in the past five years. Describe your relationship, as well as, the scope and medium/genre of the work.
5) Design Images: Submit FOUR high-res images of proposed design. One image must be a mock-up preview image of the proposed design in the chosen location. Also include One Front View, One Detail View, and One Additional of the design. JPG files only, minimum of 1200 pixels or greater on the longest side and a 5 MB maximum. Images and video of each site location may be viewed HERE.
6) OPTIONAL Portfolio Images: Submit up to six (6) high-res digital images of previously completed artwork. List images with artist’s name and corresponding image identification number, the medium, dimension, and date created. JPG files only, minimum of 1200 pixels or greater on the longest side and a 5 MB maximum.
Each artist is limited to three applications per bench location but may submit applications for up to four locations.
Entry fee is $40 for first design, $5 fee per design for additional designs: up to three designs per location.
Use Coupon Code ARTBENCH20 for additional designs
Partial or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
Jury selections will be made based on a review of applications submitted by deadline by a Selection Committee including TWAC Board members, representatives of The Woodlands Township, The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau, and an architectural design representative from Howard Hughes Corporation. The Committee will select up to three semi-finalists for each location. If the jury requests more information, or if an artwork is considered for a different site, the Committee reserves the right to contact the artist to request additional information or explore alternate placement.
Semi-finalists will be notified by April 30, 2020. The selected semi-finalists will enter into a design contract with TWAC to develop a proposal for the design. Semi-finalists will present design proposals to the Committee and the Underwriter for specific location by May 30, 2020. Finalists will be notified of selection to move forward by June 8, 2020. Installation must be completed by September 15, 2020. Installation ceremony will occur in October 2020.
MEDIA RIGHTS: Artist acknowledges and agrees that The Woodlands Arts Council, et al. reserve all rights to use images, audio, video and other media collected as part of the competition in perpetuity as promotional and educational tools and collateral for the Art Bench competition.
Uses and examples of collected media may include, but are not limited to:
• Professional photographs of installed artworks for promotional use, both in print and on the Web, by The Woodlands Arts Council, Township (etc.)
• Use of artist statements for Web and promotional use (such as installation brochures and placards)
• Video and audio of artists talks to be hosted on the Township and The Woodlands Arts Council websites through public media sites, such as YouTube, at their discretion. A full media waiver will be included in the artist contract. The waiver will pertain to the rights of the Township and The Woodlands Arts Council to collect and distribute media related to the artworks and artists as it pertains to the Art Bench competition and standard promotional efforts. Intellectual, creative, and display rights regarding the created works will be retained by the artists during and beyond the duration of the installation period in accordance with the terms outlined in the artist contract.
TIMELINE AND DEADLINES
January 10, 2020 Call for Entries
March 31, 2020 Application Deadline
April 30, 2020 Notification of three (3) semi-finalists for each site location
May 30, 2020 Semi-Finalists Submit proposed design
June 8, 2020 Selection of Finalists
September 15, 2020 Installation Complete
October TBD 2020 Ceremony
For more information contact: Sally Richard at firstname.lastname@example.org