Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Event Dates: 12/1/21 - 12/4/21
Entry Deadline: 7/31/21
Days remaining to deadline: 1
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 4
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 4
Mokuhanga & Nara
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Juried Exhibition — Sumi-Fusion: International Mokuhanga Exhibition
As one of its central events, the International Mokuhanga Conference 2021 is very pleased to announce a call for entries for Sumi-Fusion: International Mokuhanga Exhibition, which will be both an online show and will take place from December 1-4 at Nara Prefectural Cultural Hall.
While the conference itself is themed around the concept of sumi and its versatility in water-based woodblock printing (mokuhanga), and the presence of black and its relation to color, the juried exhibition will celebrate classic applications of mokuhanga, as well as contemporary fusions and new approaches to this historic art within the wider disciplinary world of print-media and contemporary art.
Several prizes will be awarded for outstanding prints. Prizes to be announced.
- CALL FOR ENTRIES: June 1, 2021
- APPLICATION OPEN: June 1, 2021
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 15, 2021
- RESULTS: August 15, 2021
- RECEIPT OF SELECTED WORKS to Japan: by October 1, 2021
- Leonie Bradley (Editor Printmaking Today / Artist / UK)
- Hiroko Furuya (Professor, Tama Art University / Japan)
- Takuji Hamanaka (Artist / US+Japan)
- Kari Laitinen (Former Senior Lecturer / Aalto University / Finland)
- Yasu Shibata (Master Printer, PACE Editions / US+Japan)
- Annu Vertanen (Professor, Academy of Fine Arts / Finland)
This exhibition is open to artists worldwide. We invite applicants to submit up to four prints created within the last three years, using water-based woodblock print (mokuhanga), which may feature sumi printing techniques. Up to two works may be selected for the exhibition.
|NUMBER OF ENTRIES:||
1-4 works per artist. From which up to 2 works may be selected.
|CONDITION:||Artwork created in the last three years|
|MAXIMUM PAPER SIZES:||
SMALL PRINT* (up to 30 x 21 cm [11.7 x 8.3 inches]).
LARGE PRINT (up to 90 x 90 cm [35.5 x 35.5 inches].
*There will be a prize for a small print, which should not exceed paper size of 30 x 21 cm (11.7 x 8.3 inches).
|SCREENING:||By jpeg. Max size 2 MB.
|ENTRY FEE:||US$ 50 via PayPal or credit card. The fee is nonrefundable.*
|RETURN OF WORKS:||Upon acceptance, if the artist wishes to have work returned at the end of the exhibition, an additional fee of US$ 20 must be paid through PayPal to email@example.com. All prints must be sent in a tube without mat or frame. If the artist is able to pick up their work in Nara, please specify. Otherwise the artist agrees for their work to be donated to the International Mokuhanga Association.
A list of artists selected for the Juried Exhibition 2021 in Japan will be posted on the IMA website.
* This is an opportunity to participate in a highly regarded international exhibition that will be attended by many serious professionals. The fee will be used to cover the costs of online jurying, professional installation, and documentation that will be available on the conference website.