The Athenaeum Gallery
201 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Event Dates: 4/10/20 - 8/21/20
Entry Deadline: 8/14/20
Days remaining to deadline: 43
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Athenaeum Gallery Open Call
Moments in Time – A Very Weird Time
This is a time like no other our generation has faced. It is no exaggeration to say that the pandemic has affected every one of us. It has changed how we navigate the most mundane tasks in our lives; in some cases, it may cause long-term change in our social and economic environments. We invite artists to respond to this particular, unique moment.
Artists are invited to submit works that represent the full gamut of how the global Coronavirus pandemic and its associated ‘social distancing’ has affected them. Fear, uncertainty, anger and doubt are certainly typical responses but we are also interested in evidence of the creative benefits of solitude and reflection and the time to process them.
We plan to assemble an exhibition that both chronicles this particular moment in time and surprises viewers with unique and unexpected perspectives.
Five $500 prizes will be awarded, selected by an independent arts expert and awarded at the opening reception on Sunday, September 13, 2020 and a $500 Viewer's Choice Award will be selected by viewer's votes that are tallied at the end of the show.
Works for inclusion in the Athenaeum Invitational will be selected from an open call by Athenaeum Gallery Director, Twig Murray. Works will be chosen that show aesthetic excellence, mastery of media, creativity and thoughtfulness. The five $500 prize winners will be selected by an indepoendant art expert.
Artists who live or work in Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia may submit work. Artists who do not live or work in Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia are not eligible.
- Work must be available from September 6 - October 18, 2020.
- All visual media is welcome, but every work must be wall-mounted.
- All works must arrive wired and ready to be hung with picture hooks.
- Work must be less than 9 inches deep.
- Painting, drawing, collage, etc. must be framed or fully finished, wired, and ready to hang on picture hooks.
- Sculpture must be less than 9 inches deep and lighter than 30 pounds.
- Works that require electricity will not be accepted.
- Entries that do not comply with the rules will be disqualified.
The artist is responsible for getting, or arranging to have their work delivered, to the Athenaeum on Sunday, September 6 between 10 and 4, or Monday September 7 between 10 and 2, or by special arrangement. The artist is responsible for picking up, or arranging to have unsold works picked up, on Sunday, October 18, between 4 – 6, or by special arrangement. The Athenaeum is not responsible for works left in the gallery after the close of the show.
The Athenaeum Gallery will retain a 40% commission on works sold, and will issue a check for 60% of the sales price to the artist no longer than thirty days after the show has closed. Sold work remains in the gallery until the last day of the show. Work does not have to be for sale to be included in the show.
All works in the show will be insured by the Athenaeum Gallery for 100% of the retail price from September 10 through October 18, 2020.
About the Athenaeum
The Athenaeum Gallery is the headquarters of the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association (NVFAA). Founded in 1964, the NVFAA is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in all forms of art, and to establishing programs that will enrich the cultural life of Northern Virginia and the surrounding metropolitan area. The Athenaeum Gallery exhibits work created solely by artists living or working the region and strives to present visitors with a wide variety of excellent work and unique experiences.
- Submission deadline is Friday, August 14, 2020
- Artists will be notified of acceptance or decline by Friday, August 21 via email
- Exhibition dates are September 10 through October 18, 2020.
- Works need to be delivered to the Athenaeum gallery on Sunday, September 6 between 10 and 4, or Monday September 7 between 10 and 2, or by special arrangement.
- The opening reception will be Sunday, September 13 from 4 to 6.
- All unsold works need to be removed on Sunday, October 18, between 4 – 6, or by special arrangement.