Art Saint Louis, 1223 Pine Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63103
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Competitions
Event Dates: 0/0/00 - 0/0/00
Entry Deadline: 8/16/20
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 15
Entry Fee (Non-member entry fee for Art St. Louis XXXVI): $40.00
"Art St. Louis XXXVI, The Exhibition" is our 36th annual juried exhibition featuring artworks in all media, themes, subjects, techniques, and styles.
- Open to artists 21 years of age and older living in the St. Louis, Missouri region and surrounding 200-mile radius*.
- Artist also must be resident of the St. Louis region/200-mile radius when show begins (November 14, 2020) in order to submit work & participate, if selected for exhibition.
The deadline to submit works for this exhibit is August 16, 2020 (11:59 p.m. MST).
Meredith Malone is Associate Curator at the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum at Washington University in St. Louis. A specialist in post-World War II art in Europe and the United States, she has curated numerous exhibitions including “Multiplied: Edition MAT and the Transformable Work of Art, 1959-1965” and “To See Without Being Seen: Contemporary Art and Drone Warfare” (2016).
Awards of Excellence will be selected by the Juror for this exhibit and include (1) $250 Best of Show Award of Excellence and (4) non-cash Awards of Excellence. All five Award recipients will then be eligible for our “Honor Awards 2022” ten-artist curated exhibit presented at Art Saint Louis, June 11-July 14, 2022.
EXHIBITION SPACE & DATES*
- Art Saint Louis Gallery, 1223 Pine Street in downtown St. Louis, MO.
- Exhibition dates: November 14-December 17, 2020.
- Free reception & Awards on Saturday, November 14, 2020, 5-7 p.m.
- *All dates & times are subject to change. Updates will be noted publicly and artists notified of any changes.
WHAT IS A JURIED EXHIBIT?
- A juried exhibition is a competitive exhibit process. The artworks that you submit will be in competition against all of the other artworks submitted for consideration for this exhibit. Some artworks will be selected for the final show, while others will not be selected. The exhibition Juror make all final decisions as to which artworks are selected for the exhibit. If you do not wish to enter into a competition, then please do not submit your artworks for this juried exhibition.
THE JURYING PROCESS
- The method by which all exhibitions are juried at Art Saint Louis is designed to be as absolutely fair as possible. We strictly maintain a blind/anonymous process, meaning that at NO time before or during the jurying process is the Juror shown the names of any entrants. In fact, our jurors often do not see names for selected artists until they arrive at Art Saint Louis to view the final exhibit on Gallery walls, months after the exhibit has been juried.
- Exhibit Juror is presented all entrants' artworks in an anonymous ‘blind’ digital image presentation and the only information provided to them pertains to the artwork & includes: artwork title, year, media, dimensions, method of display (wall or pedestal), artist's statement (optional).
- From the jurying presentation and information provided about the artworks, the Juror makes their selections for the final exhibit.
- Artwork selection decisions are in part based on a set of specific jurying instructions & criteria relating to the specific exhibit as well as established conditions & rules of the ASL Gallery.
- Art Saint Louis does not censor artwork. We respect artistic freedom & freedom of speech. All imagery, themes and concepts are considered. That said, we discourage imagery that includes hate speech, racism, anti-human rights, or anything that attacks or marginalizes any individual or people groups.
- We take pride in ensuring that all Art Saint Louis exhibits are juried with open eyes & open minds in the most fair and unbiased manner possible.
- The Juror will not view any artworks or jury this exhibit until after the entry deadline.
- Please do not double-book your artwork, commit it for other conflicting exhibits or sell it without possibility of exhibition availability if you plan on entering your work into our show.
- Only submit artworks for jurying that are available for exhibition.
- If you are accepted for this exhibit and sell your accepted artwork prior to the show, we recommend that you please sell the artwork with the condition that it will be available for this exhibit. If that condition isn't possible, please do not enter that artwork to our exhibit. Remember that our entry fee is non-refundable and selected artworks may not be substituted.
- Please not submit the same artwork for another exhibit elsewhere during same/overlapping timeframe.
- Please do not enter work for jurying if you are not able to follow through with the rules of entry/art & exhibit guidelines.
ABOUT ART SAINT LOUIS
Located on the ground floor of the historic and beautifully renovated Park Pacific building at 1223 Pine Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, Art Saint Louis is home to one of the most popular and frequently visited exhibition spaces in the entire St. Louis region. Our current space was created in 2013 and builds upon the organization’s 36+ year success in connecting St. Louis regional artists and audiences, the 2,700 square foot space Gallery boasts a year-round series of professionally juried group exhibitions showcasing the best of the region’s contemporary visual art. Highlighting each exhibition, Art Saint Louis opening receptions are a cultural mainstay in downtown St. Louis and are followed throughout the run of each exhibit with extensive viewing hours Monday through Saturday and an average of over 500 visitors per week. Uniquely designed as a gallery/café hybrid, the space is also the one and only café home of Catalyst Coffee Bar, making it a cultural and social destination like no other in the St. Louis region—we own the Coffee Bar & all sales benefit Art Saint Louis. Find Art Saint Louis on Facebook and view highlights from our previous exhibits in our photo albums.
PLEASE NOTE that this is an online entry process. The entry & upload process does require time, depending on your advance preparedness and image sizes, so please allow yourself adequate time when applying for & submitting your work to this exhibit. Advance registration (prior to entry deadline date)--with image uploads to a Portfolio-- is highly recommended.
- Limit 5 original artworks in all media, styles, subjects, themes, and techniques.
- Artworks created/completed between 2017—2020. Works from prior to 2017 are ineligble.
- Works not exhibited in any juried exhibit in St. Louis region during 6 months prior to exhibit dates.
- Works not previously exhibited in any exhibit in Art Saint Louis Gallery.
- NO ceiling installed work, this includes installation works.
- NO artworks that sit directly on Gallery floor.
- 2-d works must be framed OR, if not framed, pre-approved alternate professional presentation.
- Works on canvas may be gallery-wrapped, strip-framed or framed. No unstretched canvas.
- Textiles & quilts must have accompanying pre-drilled hanging bars or similar installation apparatus provided by artist for display/presentation of artwork. NO shower rods or curtain rods accepted for display.
- Size limits -- Final installation size on all 2-d and wall-displayed/hung work not to exceed 72"wx72"h, including frame. No exceptions.
- Weight limit: 2-d wall-installed works may not exceed 30 lbs.
- NO works that are pinned, tacked, taped, velcroed, painted on, glued, adhered, nailed, or affixed directly to/on Gallery walls. Art Saint Louis uses traditional hanging hardware (hooks/nails) to hang wall-installed artworks from their wires on the back of the pieces— however, we will not nail or tack an artwork directly to a wall, nor will we velcro, glue or use any other substance to directly apply an artwork to the wall. ALL wall-installed works must hang from standard picture hanging hardware.
- No loose plexi that is clipped or nailed to wall.
- Artist must provide all equipment necessary to present video, time-based media or any artwork requiring electricity, incl. cords, adapters, DVD player, monitor (min. 9"), etc.; OR Art Saint Louis has one 20" monitor permanently mounted on gallery wall on which selected video artworks can be presented during exhibition. If artist selects this presentation method, it must be noted that multiple artworks could be presented on same monitor by different artists, if selected for show. Headphones are provided if audio is integral to artwork. If accepted, artist is to provide MP3 or MP4 file on thumbdrive.
- If your artwork utilizes organic matter, please contact us & specify the organic materials being used before entering our exhibit: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALL rules/specifications incl. size limits as listed above pertaining to 2-D work also apply to 3-D work.
- Larger sculptures, oversized 2-d work, complicated pieces, and/or installation works must be installed by artist under direction of Art Saint Louis Artistic Director.
- We are only able to exhibit pedestal-displayed or wall-hung sculpture. Gallery owns a limited number of standard sized pedestals & will provide for display of 3-d work. If your 3-d artwork is odd-sized, excessively heavy, or requires a very specific sized pedestal, plan on providing that pedestal or platform (that sits at least 18" up off of the ground) yourself, please.
- 3-d works that are extremely fragile, very small, that have a very small bottom/base, are unstable, or do not sit flat on a pedestal are not considered.
- Do not submit any 3-d artwork that will not fully sit flat/level on pedestal or other display surface.
- NO ceiling installed work, this includes installation works.
- NO artworks that sit directly on Gallery floor.
JURYING & IMAGE REQUIREMENTS
- Judging is only done by JPEGs online only at CallForEntry.org.
- LIMIT: 5 artworks.
- Limit 2 JPEGs per artwork: 1 full view is required and either 1 detail OR 1 alternate view.
- The image limit reads 10, and this allows for 1 full view of each artwork and either 1 detail OR 1 alternate view per artwork. Do not exceed 5 artworks & 10 images total or you will be disqualified.
- IMPORTANT: IF you submit more than 2 images per artwork, the Juror will NOT be shown your additional images. Additional images that exceed our limit will
- NOTE: Multi-paneled artworks count as one artwork, as long as they are presented as one artwork and the total size of the artwork does not exceed our size limit rules. An artwork that is a diptych (2 panels) = one artwork; a triptych (3 panels) = one artwork, and so on. Please photograph the overall artwork and only be sure to include one detail/close-up view. if you submit images of all 3 panels and a full view of your triptych, you have exceeded your image limit.
Please make sure that the digital images of your artworks are:
- In focus.
- Cropped to feature only your artwork.
- Please, NO watermarks or name imprints/signatures.
- Free of a time-date stamp.
- Please photograph your 2-d work before you have it professionally framed. If the only image you have of your artwork is of the work framed, please use image editing software to crop the frame out of the image. Your artwork is what will be juried, not the frame.
Upload options for image files:
- File format: JPEG only.
- File dimensions: 1200 pixels or greater on the longest dimension.
- File resolution: 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution).
- File size: up to 5MB maximum.
Upload options for video files:
- File formats: 3GP, WMV, AVI, MOV, ASF, MPG, MP4, M2T, MKV, M2TS.
- Resolution: minimum 620x480; max. 1920x1080.
- Aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9.
- Bit rate: recommended above 20 kbps.
- Frame rate: minimum 12 fps, recommended 30 fps. The frame rate of the original video should be maintained without re-sampling. In particular, pulldown and other frame-rate re-sampling techniques are strongly discouraged.
- Codec: h.264, h.263, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, Windows Media Video, and motion jpeg mpeg-1 muxed, Apple Lossless
- Container: 3gp, asf, avi, mov, mpeg, mpeg-2, mp4, ogg
- Video file size: 100 MB maximum.
NEED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE?
- If you are unclear about how to apply for a Call for Entry using CaFÉ, please view their handy document here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e-eiPx-uukbrpSciO1cmg2KCfO66chdXalmm3Ue8oMw/edit?pli=1
- You can also view a How to Apply for Artists video here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4hLvyPfgM2wc29oZjM2V1RZMUE/edit?pli=1
Submissions that do not comply with rules of entry will not be presented to the Juror. Artworks selected for exhibition that are not accurately depicted by JPEGs may be refused/will not be exhibited at Artistic Director’s discretion.
SALES & INSURANCE
- If you are accepted for this exhibit and sell your accepted artwork prior to the show, we recommend that you please sell it with the condition that it will be available for this exhibit. If that condition isn't possible, please do not enter that artwork for our show. Entry fee is non-refundable.
- All works submitted for this exhibit must be available for the show dates.
- We will not exhibit substitutes.
- All artworks must either have a sale price or be marked Not for Sale (NFS). If NFS, please provide an insurance value (50% retail).
- No works marked POR (Price on Request) will be accepted.
- Artwork prices may not be changed once submitted for jurying.
- All sales are through Art Saint Louis with 30% donation on work sold to ASL with 70% to artist. Artist is sent within 45 days of exhibit conclusion.
- Your sale price should factor in/include Art Saint Louis' 30% donation/ commission.
- All sold works remain in the exhibit until show ends. It is artist’s responsibility to deliver or ship sold artwork to buyer after the show closes. Art Saint Louis will provide buyer’s contact information to Artist. If shipment to buyer is required, those arrangements are to be made by the artist with the buyer. Artist is to handle all shipping responsibilities on sold works with ALL related shipping costs being the responsibility of/at the expense of buyer. Art Saint Louis does not handle delivery or shipping of artwork.
- Artworks are insured at 50% of retail value during exhibit. Artist responsible for work in transit to/from ASL.
FRAMING & PRESENTATION for EXHIBITION
- All rules listed in above "SPECIFICATIONS" section apply.
- All work selected for exhibit must be delivered to Gallery ready to install.
- 2-d works must be framed or, if not framed, pre-approved presentation.
- 2-d work must be equipped with hanging wire stretched across back of artwork.
- NO sawtooth hangers, clip-style frames or keyhole mounts.
- Pre-drilled French Cleat mounts okay.
- Works on canvas may be framed, strip-framed or gallery-wrapped.
- NO works that are nailed, pinned, tacked, taped, velcroed, painted on, glued, adhered, or affixed directly to/on Gallery walls.
- No loose plexi that is clipped or nailed to wall.
- Oversized, heavy, or installation work must be installed by artist under direction of Artistic Director.
- Textiles must have accompanying pre-drilled hanging bars or similar installation apparatus provided by artist for display/presentation of artwork. NO shower rods or curtain rods accepted for display.
- Video must be presented on min. 9” monitor; monitor weight not to exceed 20 lbs. Equipment provided by artist; OR Art Saint Louis has one 20" monitor permanently mounted on gallery wall on which all accepted video artworks can be presented during exhibition. Headphones are provided if audio is integral to artwork. Gallery video monitor may be shared for presentation of multiple works.
- Specific installation requirements must be resolved in advance with directions/devices provided by artist.
- Art Saint Louis reserves the right to install accepted works in a manner deemed necessary for a well-designed exhibition or for security purposes.
- Entry fee is non-refundable.
- Artist may submit up to 5 artworks for the one fee.
- $40/Non-member entry; OR
- $20/Art Saint Louis Member entry.
- Fee payable by credit card or PayPal through CallforEntry.org or by check to Art Saint Louis, 1223 Pine St., St. Louis, MO 63103.
ENTRY FEE SCHOLARSHIP UNDERWRITING
- To provide as much opportunity as possible for artists at work in our region, Art Saint Louis is pleased to offer scholarship underwriting of entry fees for individuals for whom such entry fees might otherwise be a financial barrier to participation.
- To be considered for scholarship underwriting, please submit a written request to email@example.com relaying your request, including the title of the exhibition/Call for Entry, and your financial need.
- A limited number of scholarships are available for each exhibition, and will be awarded by Art Saint Louis on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of Art Saint Louis.
- Requests for scholarship funds do not guarantee approval or scholarship underwriting.
- If you are granted scholarship to this exhibit and your work is selected for the show, artist is still obligated to contribute time/services or goods towards the volunteer commitment for this exhibit.
MEMBERSHIP IN ART SAINT LOUIS
Membership in Art Saint Louis is open to all and is not required to have your work considered for or juried into this exhibit. However, membership does have its benefits, including discounts on entry fees--the reduced Art Saint Louis member entry fee for this show is $20 and the non-member fee is $40. Benefits of membership include discounts on entry fees to juried exhibits, a weekly e-newsletter, a Membership & Resource Directory, access to a Members Only area of our website, 10% discount on all art purchases in the Gallery, 10% on all coffee bar purchases, and additional opportunities. To download a Membership brochure and join Art Saint Louis today, visit our website (PayPal accepted).
VOLUNTEERING FOR EXHIBIT
- As a non-profit artists' organization, Art Saint Louis relies on volunteer support to help present our exhibitions.
- All exhibiting artists are required to volunteer 4 hours time to the production of this exhibit; OR artists may contribute goods for the opening reception valued at $20, help out in the Gallery, OR may buy-out volunteer time at $5/hour or $20/per artist.
- Volunteering, donating goods or buying out volunteer time IS required, this is not optional.
- Volunteer sign-up upon delivery of accepted artworks for exhibit.
- Scholarship artist is not exempt from volunteer commitment to show.
- Cash, contributions of goods, or in-kind services are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law. Artist is responsible for any record-keeping of donated items.
- Art Saint Louis reserves the right to photograph all exhibited works for web use and publicity purposes. Art Saint Louis reserves the right to use digital images submitted for jurying for publicity of exhibition including but not limited to email, web use and social media. Accepted artists will be required to send high resolution JPEGs of accepted artworks to Art Saint Louis for exhibition records/paperwork and publicity.
- We will promote our exhibit and all featured artwork on our website, press releases, and social media (including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and more).
- All artworks showcased in the ASL gallery are given additional exposure through listing on our ArtLoupe mobile app for visual art, a national publishing, discovery & sales platform for visual art that is created, owned & operated by Art Saint Louis. Art Saint Louis will publish your accepted artwork on our ArtLoupe mobile app and will continue to promote the artworks during and continuing after the run of the exhibition. This will provide not only additional exposure for your artwork but further sales opportunities as well, allowing ArtLoupe users across the US to discover and purchase your work. Artworks listed Not for Sale in the Art Saint Louis gallery will be marked Not for Sale on ArtLoupe as well. If you wish to opt out of having your work listed on ArtLoupe, or for any reason wish to have the listing removed at any point, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know, and we’ll remove the listing accordingly. We look forward to spotlighting your work in this new way.
DELIVERY & PICK-UP
- Artworks juried into exhibit are to be hand-delivered to Art Saint Louis Gallery on either Friday, October 23, 2020, 8 a.m.-3:45 p.m. or Saturday, October 24, 9 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- Works accepted for exhibit but not delivered by 3 p.m. October 24 will not be exhibited.
- Exhibited artworks are to be picked-up at the end of the show on Friday, December 18, 8 a.m.-3:45 p.m. or Saturday, December 19, 9 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- We are closed: Sundays & holidays including November 25-27, December 24-25, December 31-January 1.
- Exhibited works may not be removed from ASL prior to 8 a.m. Friday, December 18. 2019.
- ALL exhibited works must be removed from Gallery by 3 p.m. Saturday, December 19, 2020.
Having submitted artworks for jurying & having paid the entry fee, artist (1) accepts all conditions listed in the aforementioned rules of entry/exhibit prospectus; (2) represents, warrants and covenants that artist is not infringing on any proprietary right, copyright, patent right or any other right of any third party, and artist will indemnify Art Saint Louis and its agents, employees, affiliates, licensors, and business partners harmless from and against any and all costs, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in relation to, arising from, or for the purpose of avoiding, any claim or demand from a third party that the submission, ownership, display, sale or the presentation of your artworks violate any applicable law or regulation, or the rights of any third party. This is legal & binding. Accepted artworks may not be substituted and prices may not be changed once submitted for jurying.
COMMUNICATIONS RE: EXHIBIT
All communications to artists in regards to this exhibition are made by email. Please be sure that you have a working email address. Save email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org as safe senders. If you use gmail, please be sure to check all folders (Promotions, All Mail, Spam, Trash, Primary) for any emails from Art Saint Louis, as sometimes our mail ends up there.
By submitting artwork to an Art Saint Louis juried exhibit, artist-entrants acknowledges that they will be subscribed to our email list which includes notices about our exhibit opportunities, receptions, and special events. Artist can opt out of/unsubscribe from mailing list at any time.
C A L E N D A R
- DEADLINE to ENTER: August 16, 2020 (11:59 p.m. MST). This is an online entry process, so we recommend giving yourself plenty of time (and patience) before the final entry date and time. Advance registration and image uploads to a Portfolio are highly recommended.
- Jury notifications will be e-mailed to ALL entrants by September 18, 2020.
- Artist confirmation of participation, 1-2 MB JPEG of accepted artwork, and artist's statement due before or by September 25.
- Deliver accepted artworks to Art Saint Louis Friday, October 23, 2020, 8 a.m.-3:45 p.m. or Saturday, October 24, 9 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- Install exhibit at Art Saint Louis on October 28, 4-6 p.m.
- “Art St. Louis XXXVI, The Exhibition” exhibit dates: November 14-December 17, 2020
- Free Reception & Awards on Saturday, November 14, 2020, 5-7 p.m.
- Free Artists' Gallery Talk Saturday, December 5, 2020, 10-11:15 a.m.
- Art Saint Louis Gallery hours: M—F 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Closed Sundays & major holidays. Gallery free & open to the public.
- Pick-up exhibited works Friday, December 18, 8 a.m.-3:45 p.m., Saturday, December 19, 9 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- No artworks may be removed from the Gallery prior to 8 a.m., December 18. All work must be picked up by 3 p.m. December 19.
- NOTE: All dates & times are subject to change. Updates will be noted and artists notified of any changes to programming.
QUESTIONS? Contact Robin Hirsch-Steinhoff, Artistic Director of Art Saint Louis email@example.com. Office hours: M-F 8 a.m.-4 p.m. www.ArtStLouis.org
NEED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE or
HAVE ONLINE APPLICATION QUESTIONS?
- If this is your first time using this online application process, it's in your best interest to register (free) and upload your images into an image Portfolio on CallforEntry.org sooner rather than later, just in case you face any challenges or require assistance. That way, when you do want to submit your works for our entry, you will be ready to go and the process will run smoothly--depending on your computer and internet service.
- IF you require assistance and are having technical challenges with the online application process, uploading images or any other issue, there is a HELP page you can visit for troubleshooting. Or, the good people at CallforEntry.org (also referred to as CaFÉ) are available Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. MST and can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303/629-1166. Or you can reach them through their Contact page of their website: www.callforentry.org/contact-us/