69 Church Street
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Photography
Event Dates: 11/13/20 - 1/25/21
Entry Deadline: 7/13/20
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 20
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 20
Sohn Fine Art continues its decade-long commitment to supporting artists’ careers and creative projects. We believe in the power art can have on personal expression and positive change, and in its ability to bring joy and inspiration to people and communities. In these uncertain times, art is more important than ever. This is why we are presenting iMotif, an opportunity for you to share your voice with the public and get your work seen.
This is an open call for submissions to iMotif, an iPhone Photography exhibition presented by Sohn Fine Art. The gallery is located in the heart of the Berkshires in Lenox, MA. Any square format photograph taken with an iPhone or iPad can be submitted. The exhibition will feature approximately 100 photographs, curated and judged by iPhone photographer extraordinaire, John Clarke, Sohn Fine Art’s Director, Cassandra Sohn, and award-winning photographer Valda Bailey. With access to a camera on your phone at any moment, and a multitude of creative apps available at your fingertips, the way we instantly capture, process, share and discuss our photographs has revolutionized photography. Given our current social climate this is perhaps one of the most important times collectively for personal expression. iMotif hopes to tap into our humanity, fears, desires, pleasures, and escapes. Work of any style, theme and subject matter, or from any time-period, can be submitted. The goal of the exhibit is to re-imagine and re-define the intersection of photography, social media, and culture through images shot with iPhones.
The submission deadline is Monday, July 13. The exhibition will be on view November 13, 2020 – January 25, 2021, with an artist reception Saturday, December 5. The public will decide the winner of the exhibition’s People's Choice Award. This winner will receive one archival pigment print of their own work in any size up to 40" x 60" on a substrate of their choice, printed by Sohn Fine Art (a $450 value). The People's Choice Award Winner will be announced at the end of the exhibition, January 25. Please note that due to current circumstances, exhibition dates are subject to change.
Submission deadline and pricing: July 13 ($35 for up to 20 images)
Accepted artists notified by: August 15
Exhibition at Sohn Fine Art: November 13, 2020 – January 25, 2021
Reception: Saturday, December 5, 3:00 – 6:00
iMotif will be anonymously judged by:
Cassandra Sohn l Director of Sohn Fine Art
Cassandra Sohn owns, and is the Director of, Sohn Fine Art in Lenox, MA. Sohn founded the business in 2011 and runs all departments of the company. She is the founder of the Master Artist Series program, which offers unique experiences with artists in the top of their fields to patrons and collectors of photography, as well as professional and aspiring photographers and artists through exhibitions, lectures and workshops. Sohn is also a fine art and freelance photographer who exhibits world-wide and has worked for a variety of editorial and commercial clients. She has been published in several books, and was the main contributing photographer for Window on the Park—New York's Most Prestigious Properties On Central Park, published by Images Publishing. She graduated from the New School in Manhattan with a Bachelor of Arts in English and Photography.
John Clarke l iPhone Photographer Extraordinaire
John Clarke has lived in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts since 2007. Clarke received his degree in classical music composition from Bates College in Maine. Working with long exposures, intentional camera movement and low light, Clarke pushes the camera to its limits, translating photographic images into other mediums. Painting with light, his works are often mistakenly viewed as pastel or charcoal drawings. Long exposure times and gestural movements blur the distinction between art forms. He is driven to create images that are purely personal, diffusing and abstracting the world around him in the hopes that they will spark an unknown journey into aesthetic, emotional and spiritual territories. He calls it “looking through the curtain.” The creation of an image holds the excitement of unlimited potential. Clarke has become an accomplished iPhone photographer and teacher, helping his students capture and process images with a unique, painterly feel.
Valda Bailey l International Award-winning Artist
Valda Bailey lives in Sussex, England. Her approach to photography is greatly informed by her background in painting, and her influences come as much from artists as they do photographers. Largely motivated by color and form, Bailey’s impressionistic photographs have a clear tension and dynamism to them as she looks to push the boundaries of photography and strives to produce images that have movement and energy. Her work has been featured in broadsheet newspapers, as well as national and international publications. Bailey has been teaching for Light & Land Photographic Workshops run by Charlie Waite since 2015 and frequently leads photographic workshops with Sohn Fine Art. Bailey exhibits world-wide and made her US debut in 2017 at Sohn Fine Art. In 2015, she was the first woman to be invited to join six other photographers to exhibit at the Biennial Masters of Vision at the Southwell Minster, United Kingdom. Her photography is included in corporate and private collections worldwide.
About Sohn Fine Art
Sohn Fine Art Gallery specializes in contemporary photography and is dedicated to the development, promotion and exhibition of innovative contemporary artworks by international and local artists. It is the company's mission to promote broader understanding of, and community engagement with photographic mediums through exhibitions, lectures and workshops. Sohn Fine Art's MASTER ARTIST SERIES Program hosts world class photographers in the Berkshires annually. The goal of this program is to offer unique experiences with artists in the top of their fields to patrons and collectors of photography, as well as professional and aspiring photographers and artists. www.sohnfineart.com
All submissions are reviewed anonymously
· All entries must be received by July 13, 2020. You will be notified by August 15, 2020.
· If you are accepted into the show, please confirm your acceptance by August 22, 2020.
· All work submitted must be limited editions or one-of-a-kinds. All artwork in the exhibition must be for sale. All artwork in the exhibition will be for sale for the same retail price, $375. Sohn Fine Art splits the retail commission on sold work with the artist 50/50. Submissions must be shot with an iPhone or iPad and in a square format only. If you are notified that you are accepted into the show, please confirm your acceptance no later than August 22. Upon confirmation from the artist, all accepted work for the exhibition will be printed and framed by Sohn Fine Art, in order to maintain a specific, and exact, curatorial look for the exhibition. You will be responsible for paying $75 per piece for the print and frame. This price is reduced for participating artists from the equivalent retail cost ($125). The photographs will be printed on a fine art, archival, heavyweight, watercolor paper. The image size will be exactly 8” x 8”, framed with a white wood frame with a final outer dimension of 11” x 11”. Your artwork and image always belongs to you, you retain all copyrights to your image, and if your photograph does not sell during the exhibition, you take the framed piece home.
· If you are notified that you are accepted into the show you are responsible for confirming acceptance as well as making payment before printing and framing production begins. This date will be included in the acceptance letter. You are responsible for pick-up or shipping any unsold work at the end of the exhibition. The Gallery is located at 69 Church Street, Lenox, MA.
· You retain all rights to your images, but upon submitting, you grant Sohn Fine Art the right to use your submitted images for marketing purposes related to the call for art and exhibition. This may include email newsletters and social media posts related to the event. We will credit your images wherever possible.
All submissions must be made directly through CaFÉ (callforentry.org).
Sohn Fine Art has another call for art running concurrently with iMotif, “Perspective”. If you are planning to submit work to both calls for art, please email Sohn Fine Art at email@example.com after you have submitted to one call, for a $5 off submission coupon for the other!