2020 Bank of the Arts National Juried Exhibition
Craven Arts Council & Gallery
317 Middle St
New Bern, NC 28560
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
State: North Carolina
Entry Deadline: 7/5/20
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Bank of the Arts is a historic, turn of the century former bank building housing the Craven Arts Council & Gallery. The building features impressive original plaster work pillars and decoration illuminated by a large skylight and modern lighting fixtures. The Craven Arts Council hosts rotating exhibitions of local, regional, and national art in their three gallery spaces. The historic city of New Bern, the first colonial capital of North Carolina, has become a prime destination for retirees, families and tourists alike. New Bern's rich history and beautiful geographic setting have combined to create a cultural environment that has attracted an active art community supported by an enthusiastic group of collectors and donors.
The 2020 Bank of the Arts National Juried Exhibition offers $5,000 in awards, including the $1,500 CAC&G Permanent Collect Purchase Award. The show’s juror will be Brandon Cordrey, Executive Director of Visual Art Exchange (VAE) Raleigh, a contemporary art space in North Carolina’s capital. Before becoming Executive Director, Brandon was VAE’s Director of Exhibitions, and has worked for Flanders Gallery, Arts Access, CAM Raleigh, and the Greenville Museum of Art.
This year’s exhibition will also continue the “Ekphrastic Poetry Competition” that has been so well received in previous years. Poets will create original compositions inspired by the artwork in the exhibition, with awards and readings during the September 11th ArtWalk Reception. This year’s poetry juror will be North Carolina Poet Laureate Jaki Shelton Green.
2020 Bank of the Arts National Juried Exhibition Important Dates:
• May 1: Bank of the Arts National Juried Exhibition Call for Entries opens on CAFÉ
• July 5: Call closes at 11:59pm
• July 11: Artists notified of acceptance or rejection by 5:00pm
• July 14- August 1: Drop off or delivery of work to Bank of the Arts
• July 18: Ekphrastic Poetry competition opens online with images from the exhibition
• August 14: August Artwalk Opening Reception, visual art winners announced
• August 31: Ekphrastic Poetry competition closes
• September 11: September Artwalk reception, poetry winners and readings
• September 22-26: Pick up or mailing of work
- 2D (paintings, mixed media)
- Contemporary Crafts (pottery, jewelry, textiles, wood, glass and metal art)
- Indoor Sculpture
- Outdoor Sculpture
- $1,500 CAC&G Permanent Collection Purchase Award (indoor)
- Four $250 Best-in-Category Awards (indoor)
- Five $100 Merit Awards (indoor)
- Two $1,000 Honoraria (outdoor)
$35 for three entries, $30 for current members of Craven Arts Council & Gallery
Brandon Cordrey is an artist and the executive director of VAE Raleigh, a cultural arts nonprofit in downtown Raleigh. He joined VAE as the director of exhibitions in 2013 and became executive director in 2016. During his tenure, he has focused the organization on funding, producing, and exhibiting socially engaged artwork, specifically working in partnership with the local disability communities, communities of color, queer communities, and advocacy coalitions. His arts administration background also includes working at Flanders Gallery, Lee Hansley Gallery, Arts Access, CAM Raleigh, and the Greenville Museum of Art.