Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Images | Minimum:Min. 6, Maximum:Max. 8
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 6, Maximum:Max. 8
DESCRIPTION OF OPPORTUNITY
Arts Huntsville, the public art program manager for the City of Huntsville, is creating a roster of Pre-Qualified Mural Artists. The purpose of the roster is to streamline the artist selection process for area mural projects commissioned by Arts Huntsville and area partners. The roster will be available to the public on www.artshuntsville.org. Application information, including opening and deadline dates, will be distributed through Arts Huntsville’s website, social media channels and by distributing to other arts and media channels. Pre-qualified Artists will be included in the roster for a period of three years, after which time they will be asked to reapply.
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE ON AN ARTIST ROSTER
Inclusion on an artist roster exposes an artist’s work to those seeking to commission area murals, giving them an opportunity to evaluate how an artist’s style and skills might match the needs of their project, site or building. The Huntsville Mural Artist Roster can be used by anyone seeking artists for a mural project -- business or property owners, community groups, schools, architecture firms, private developers, etc.
Arts Huntsville does not guarantee that an artist on the Huntsville Mural Artist Roster will be selected for a project. A PDF of the roster will be publicly available at artshuntsville.org and includes links to the artist’s website, Instagram page or other social media links where completed projects can be seen. Artists who are not on the roster also remain eligible for mural commissions by outside agencies/businesses.
- Inclusion in the Huntsville Mural Artist Roster will be for a period of three years.
- Artists do not need to have a project in mind when applying for this roster.
- Inclusion in the roster does not guarantee a commission.
- Artists in the roster may be:
- Selected to a short list of artists who will be invited to submit a proposal,
- Commissioned to work with the community and develop a design proposal, or
- Selected by direct commissioning.
- Arts Huntsville, in conjunction with the Huntsville Public Art Committee, may at any time expand or update the roster by issuing a subsequent call for artists or by other means.
2020 DATES AND SCHEDULE
Submittal Deadline: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 11:59 pm CST
Completion of Roster Selection: February 2021
This project is open only to artists or artist teams who reside in the greater Huntsville metropolitan region and surrounding locations within a 35-mile radius, including the following zip codes:
35016, 35019, 35058, 35087, 35175, 35601, 35602, 35603, 35609, 35611, 35612, 35613, 35614, 35615, 35620, 35621, 35622, 35640, 35643, 35647, 35649, 35670, 35671, 35673, 35699, 35739, 35741, 35742, 35745, 35746, 35747, 35748, 35749, 35750, 35751, 35754, 35755, 35756, 35757, 35758, 35759, 35760, 35761, 35762, 35763, 35764, 35766, 35767, 35768, 35769, 35773, 35774, 35775, 35776, 35801, 35802, 35803, 35804, 35805, 35806, 35807, 35808, 35809, 35810, 35811, 35812, 35813, 35814, 35815, 35816, 35824, 35893, 35894, 35895, 35896, 35897, 35898, 35899, 35976, 37306, 37328, 37334, 37335, 37345, 37348, 37359, 38449, 38453, 38455, 38459, 38477, 38488
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have all necessary documentation and permits to work in the United States at the time of submittal of qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: Only complete, timely submittals received from eligible artists will be reviewed by the Huntsville Public Art Committee.
SELECTION PROCESS AND EVALUATION CRITERIA
All interested artists must complete their submittal for this artist call online through CaFE (www.callforentry.org). There is no fee for submitting for the RFQ.
The Huntsville Public Art Committee will review all eligible submittals and make a recommendation for the artists to be included in the roster. The Public Art Committee consists of artists, public art specialists, architecture and design professionals.
Qualifications, work samples and statements of interest shall be submitted through CaFE in accordance with the instructions below. The Public Art Committee will not review incomplete submissions. Specific mural proposals are not requested and will not be reviewed at this time.
General Review Criteria
Artists or artist teams will be reviewed based on their submitted work samples from other completed projects. (Past mural work is not required.) Review criteria will include but is not limited to the following:
- Aesthetic excellence of past projects.
- Experience with materials and methods appropriate to creating visual murals in public environments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects on time and on budget.
- Experience, success and/or interest in community engagement in the process of creating public artwork.
HOW TO APPLY
Application Deadline: Submissions (described below) must be received as a complete application in CaFE by no later than 11:59 pm CST on Wednesday, December 30, 2020. Late, incomplete and/or ineligible applications will not be accepted.
Application Process: All materials will be submitted online, via the CaFE website (www.callforentry.org). There is no application fee to apply or to use the CaFE system.
To view the application, go to www.callforentry.org, register a username and password, navigate to “Apply to Calls,” and search the list for “Huntsville Mural Artist Roster.” Assistance in using the CaFE system is available during regular business hours (Mountain Time) via e-mail at email@example.com.
Required Application Materials: The application submission must include the information and materials described below, all of which are required to constitute a complete application. Please review carefully as incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the Huntsville Public Art Committee.
- Artist Statement of Interest: Submission must include an Artist Statement of Interest that specifically addresses your artist perspective on, and interest in, participating in public mural commissions. Please address the following in your statement (3,000 character maximum):
- What is your interest in creating public murals?
- Please describe your experience in public mural-type art projects. (Artists without previous mural experience may apply, but are encouraged to describe how they will research , develop and execute mural projects.)
- Please describe your approach to involving community input in your design process and/or creation of mural art projects.
- Resume + References + Social Media: Submission shall include a current resume that outlines your professional accomplishments as an artist and includes 3 professional references, website and social media links if applicable. (Maximum of 2,500 characters/equivalent of 2 pages or 4,000 characters and 3 pages for an artistic team).
- Images of Past Work: In order to be considered for this project, the applicant must upload a total of 6 to 8 images that represent previously completed projects.
Submission must include samples of your past artwork appropriate to this project. Examples may include digital scans of completed artwork or proposal sketches; photographs of past murals or other commissioned work; photographs of carvings, weavings, blown glass, or any other artworks in 2-D or 3-D mediums that illustrate your originality and design aesthetic.
Proposal images from prior projects may be submitted but should be clearly marked as proposals and cannot be more than 3 of the requested images. A minimum of 3 images must be hand-drawn utilizing traditional mediums and all digital artwork must be noted as such.
Submission must be completed electronically through the CaFE system. (Instructions on how to format images to CaFE specifications can be found on the CaFE website under “Image Prep.”4. Descriptions of Past Work (Images): Submissions must include a list of the submitted project images with descriptions that clearly explain both the projects and images. Each image must include information about:
- Date of Completion
- Location of Artwork (if applicable)
- Dimensions of Work
- Medium (note if digital artwork)
- Budget (if publicly available)
If you were the member of an artistic team or worked with other artists on a project you are submitting as part of your body of work, clearly state your specific role in the creation of the artwork.5. Check Your Application For Completeness: Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the Huntsville Public Art Committee. Please confirm that your application includes all of the required materials listed below:
Artist statement of interest
Resume, professional references and social media links
Images of Past Work (a minimum of 6 and maximum of 8; see requirements above)
Descriptions of Images of Past Work
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS RFQ:
Please contact Arts Huntsville via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. They advise that email is the best way to reach them: email@example.com or go to their website and submit a help-desk ticket.
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT CaFE:
Please contact CaFE. They advise that email is the best way to reach them: firstname.lastname@example.org or go to their website and submit a help-desk ticket.
ABOUT ARTS HUNTSVILLE
Arts Huntsville is a non-profit organization founded in 1962 to stimulate and support community creativity and engagement by advancing the arts, entertainment and culture to enrich quality of life, education, and economic development in the greater Huntsville metropolitan region. Arts Huntsville serves as the local arts agency for the City of Huntsville and the greater metropolitan region, supporting artists, arts organizations, residents and visitors through four core program areas: Arts Promotion & Support, Arts Education, Community Events and Public Art.