220 Cypress Street
Abilene, TX 79601
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Event Dates: 10/22/20 - 12/11/20
Entry Deadline: 9/19/20
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
The Center for Contemporary Arts
4th Annual National Juried Art Show & Competition (CCAN)
Open Call Dates: August 17 - September 19, 2020
Exhibit Dates: October 22 – December 11, 2020
This is a national competition open to all artists 21 years of age and over. All work must be original (no reproductions), produced within the last three years and not previously shown at the Center for Contemporary Arts (CCA). The digital image of the piece submitted must be the piece delivered to the CCA if selected by the jury. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Original, 2 and 3-dimensional art only. No artwork over three years old may be shown.
Wall-mounted (2D) work should not exceed a framed size of 48” in the longest dimension.
3D work intended to hang on a wall cannot exceed 48 x 48". Freestanding indoor work cannot exceed 3 feet (36”) in any dimension. Weight limit 50 lbs.
Oil, watercolor, scratchboard, acrylic, gouache, alkyd, tempera, mixed media, pastel, pencil, pen & ink, aquatint, watercolor, bronze, wood, ceramic, photography, fiber and digital art will be accepted. If you have a question regarding your media, please call or email us: (325) 677-8389, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The call will open August 17, 2020, and will end on September 19, 2020. No exceptions.
Entry and Fee
All entry submissions must be done through CaFE. (https://www.callforentry.org/) No exceptions.
Entry fees are $35 for one image, additional entries $20.00 each, limit 3. For 3D entries: to show multiple angles of your sculpture you may include a video submission along with your application (optional). Fees may be paid with Visa, MasterCard, a personal check, money order or cashier’s check made payable to the Center for Contemporary Arts. Credit Card fees will be paid through CaFE.
Notification of Selection
- All entrants will be notified via email whether their artwork has been selected. All original artwork accepted shall be either hand-delivered or shipped to the CCA no later than October 9, 2020.
- Ship to: Center for Contemporary Arts
- 220 Cypress Street
- Abilene, TX 79601
- All accepted artwork shall be labeled on the back with: Artists’ Name, Title of Piece, Phone Number and Retail Price.
- All shipping charges (both directions) for artwork shall be at the artist’s expense.
- All Artwork shall be shipped back to the artist via artist’s carrier unless other arrangements are made with the CCA. We suggest that you buy a RETURN SHIPPING LABEL when you purchase the shipping label.
- All shipped artwork shall be in sturdy, reusable containers. Your shipping and packaging material must be useful for the return of your paintings or you will be charged an extra fee for packing materials supplied by the CCA.
● NO POPCORN PACKING MATERIAL ALLOWED.
- No glass except for pastel art. Only plexi-glass glazing will be accepted for all other artwork. This is essential for the safety of the originals.
- Artwork should be ready to install and should have hardware installed that will allow for immediate installation by the gallery with no adjustments to the pieces necessary. NO EXCEPTIONS — ARTWORK MUST HAVE HARDWARE INSTALLED FOR IMMEDIATE INSTALLATION. No saw-tooth hangers. Gallery-wrapped canvases are acceptable if the sides are painted and the piece is wired and ready to hang.
- Check your shipping insurance. Artists are responsible for insuring the amount above what shipper will cover. The Center for Contemporary Arts is NOT responsible for damage caused to artwork during shipping.
- Images of accepted work may be used for promotional purposes and featured in an exhibition marketing material.
Display and Sale of Original Art
The CCA prefers entries that are for sale. Please state a price reflecting current market value for your artwork. For any artwork sold, the CCA shall be entitled to retain twenty percent (20%) of the selling price as a donation and shall remit eighty percent (80%) of the selling price to the artist. Please provide an insured value on all artwork. The CCA assumes reproduction rights for promotional purposes only. If a piece is sold between entry and notification, the piece is still eligible to compete in the show. However, if the piece cannot be sent to the CCA for display in the show, it will be withdrawn from the competition.
About the Juror – Thomas Motley
Thomas Motley is a Dallas/FortWorth-based painter and academic. Born in Beaumont, Texas, he’s been drawing since the age of three. Motley is Professor Emeritus of Art and Art History, Richland College, in Dallas. His drawings and paintings have been displayed in many national exhibitions. His paintings have been shown in the DMFA, the Ft. Worth Art Center Museum, The Longview Museum and Art Center, and numerous galleries, including William Campbell Contemporary Art, in Ft. Worth. Motley has lectured at the DMA, and The Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum. He has published several art museum catalogs, art periodical critiques and reviews of art exhibits, and research papers for the NEH on art and literature of the Greeks and Romans. Motley is a contributing author for Eutopia, an online contemporary art review.
Motley is past Board President of Artist Boat, a Galveston non-profit teaching Texas’ coastal students about art and ecology, and was Chair of the North Texas Fulbright Teacher Exchange Peer Review Committee for over a decade. Motley was a printer in the USAF, an illustrator in the Special Arts Dept. for Ling Temco Vought Corp., and a resident cartoonist for the infamous alternative press, Dallas Notes from the Underground. He lives in Fort Worth.
August 17, 2020: Call opens for submissions.
September 19, 2020: Deadline for entry submissions. Absolutely no entries will be accepted after this date.
September 25, 2020: Notification of selected artwork. *All entrants will be notified via email whether their artwork has been selected
September 30, 2020: Notification of award-winning artists
October 10, 2020: Deadline to receive artwork at The Center for Contemporary Arts
October 22, 2020: Show opens to the public
October 24, 2020: Reception from 4:00pm - 5:30pm
December 11, 2020: Show closes
December 19, 2020: Deadline to pick-up hand-delivered work.
December 14 – Dece,ber 19, 2020: Crate & return shipping begins
Best of Show Award $1,500
Jurors Award $750
Merit Award $500
1st Place - 2D Oil $500
1st Place - 2D Watercolor $500
1st Place – 2D Pastel/Dry Media $500
1st Place – 2D Acrylic $500
1st Place – 2D Mixed Media $500
1st Place – 2D Photography $500
1st Place – 2D Digital $500
1st Place – Fiber $500
1st Place – 3D Sculpture $500