Friends of the Loveland Public Library
300 N. Adams Avenue
Loveland, CO, 80537
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 10/31/20
Days remaining to deadline: 40
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 18
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 18
GENERAL INFORMATION The Art Selection Committee (ASC) of the Loveland Public Library seeks art by Colorado artists or artist teams for 2021 exhibits in the Galleria spaces. The Galleria display cases provide artists with valuable public exposure and sales opportunities.
The Galleria vitrines at the Loveland Public Library reflect Loveland’s reputation as an art community. Loveland is home to many outstanding artists, host to one of the largest outdoor sculpture exhibitions in North America, and was the first Colorado city to pass an Art in Public Places Ordinance. The design of the Library incorporates five (5) display cases within pillars along the expansive Galleria. The pillars are wood with a built-in display area encased on three sides by glass. The inside dimensions of the display cases are 21” w x 69” h x 19” d. Artwork must work well within the limits of the display case. The hanging systems allowed limit weight of hanging art to 16 pounds. See Floor/Site Plan Image for a photo of display cases and more detail on selection and hanging.
Art work selected in 2020 will be on display for one of four three-month periods in 2021. The time slots to be scheduled are January 1 through March 31, April 1 through June 30, July 1 through September 30, and October 1 through December 31.
ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must reside in Colorado. Artists may apply as individuals or as part of a team. Each piece of art submitted must fit within the confines of a Galleria display case.
TO APPLY: Applications should be submitted using the Call for Entry (CAFÉ) online application system managed by the Western States Arts Federation (WESTAF). Artists will be required to create a username and password and set up a personal account, at www.callforentry.org. Following successful set up, all interested applicants will be granted full access to our detailed application; simply click on “Apply to Calls” and click on “Loveland Public Library Art in the Galleria (2021).” Your account information, including your resume, letter of interest, and images will be archived and saved for your convenience and easy access when applying to future calls using CAFÉ.
•Current Resume which outlines your experience as an artist. Artist teams should submit a resume for each member.
• Detailed information on each piece including: title of artwork, width, height, and and depth dimensions including any framing or bases, medium, date produced, price or value, whether piece is for sale, location, number of reproductions (if applicable), restrictions on reproduction, and other information the artist deems pertinent. [Note: Sales while the piece is on display will be handled by the Friends of the Loveland Public Library, who shall retain a 20% commission on sales. Sale proceeds will be paid to the artist within 30 days of the sale completion.]
• Images of the artwork - Artists may submit images of up to six (6) distinct artworks. Submissions for sculptural pieces may include a second and third image per piece to show both side and front views meaning that a total of 18 images may be submitted by each artist.
SELECTION PROCESS: An art selection jury will review all applications submitted and select a number of artists to have their artwork on temporary exhibit at the Galleria of the Loveland Public Library. For any given three-month show period, the panel may select multiple works by a single artist or works by multiple artists to display in the five cases. The jury may select a large work as the only piece to display in a case or a number of smaller works may share a case.
REVIEW CRITERIA: When evaluating a work of art, the ASC generally considers: success of the materials and design (texture, color, line, shape and value) to the expression of the artist's concept; compatibility of the artwork with the display case environment; appropriateness of the design to the function of the Library; representation of a broad variety of tastes within the community; the context of works already scheduled or previously displayed to ensure a variety of style, design and media in the display cases over time; and other factors deemed by the ASC to be relevant. All applicants will be notified of the jury selection(s) in mid-late November.
1. Selected artists will be solely responsible for the transportation of their work to and from the gallery, and any related costs. Artwork must be ready to install.
2. The Art Selection Committee of the Loveland Public Library will be responsible for exhibit design, installation and lighting of the artwork. Written Artist statements may be edited for length and content.
3. The Art Selection Committee will be responsible for press releases.
4. A $100 prize for Best of Show for the Year will be awarded sometime in November, 2021, based on jury evaluation of all of the pieces selected and displayed during the year.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: For questions or concerns please contact ShawnaLee Washam at 970-593-2247 (email email@example.com) or, if she is not available, Sue Baccari at 970-962-2425, (email Sue.Baccari@cityofloveland.org).