Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 12/5/20
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
How are You? Theme: After one of the most tumultuous years in modern history, How Are You? asks visual artists to submit artwork made in 2020. The visual arts can express both the individual artist’s voice and—as a collection— express a society’s collective voice. The How are You? exhibit aims to share recently-made artworks as a source of empathetic processing for the public’s wellbeing. Themes may include, but are not limited to: loss, growth, fear, resiliency, current events, unity, etc. A range of artworks from literal to abstract will be considered.
Juror: Suzanne Gray and Donna Seager of Seager / Gray Gallery, www.seagergray.com
- San Francisco Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael, California). Refunds will not be given to those who don’t qualify.
- Size limit: artwork must not exceed 50” including frame, stand, and all materials. Sculptors: see Display Policy, below, for details.
- Open to all visual arts media. Video must be silent (or include headphones) and include player and monitor under 36”; projections are prohibited.
- Original artwork only. No giclées or reproductions. Editions are acceptable if they are original works such as printmaking, photography or limited original digital art.
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Artwork must be for sale.
- Apply through Call For Entry.org. AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
- December 5: Entries due via CallForEntry.org. Technically you have until 11:59 Mountain time (9:59pm Pacific time). Please note that we are not available for questions about applications after 12/3/2020.
- December 10–12: Notification by email. You will receive separate emails for accepted and rejected works.
- NOTE: delivery is the following week.
- December 17–19, 10am–4pm: Deliver accepted entries. No exceptions. Masks must be worn. 1 person in the Gallery at a time. No restroom or art center access.
- Artworks will be safely stored until installation beginning January 4.
- Please include packing materials if your artwork is sensitive.
- Exhibit Dates: January 8–February 21, 2021
- January 8, 6pm: Reception and Virtual Art Walk, exhibitors are invited to present their artwork via Zoom. Space is limited.
- February 12, 6pm: Reception and Virtual Art Walk, exhibitors are invited to present their artwork via Zoom. Space is limited.
- February 25–28,1–4pm: Pick up unsold artwork
Entry Fee: $40 for up to 3 entries.
Discount provided for AWD Artist Members.
Display Policy: Gallery 1337 at Art Works Downtown is now open for in-person visitation Saturday and Sunday 12–5pm. These hours—or similar hours—are scheduled for 2021. If the Gallery must close for Covid safety, artworks in this exhibition will be rotated in the Gallery 1337 downtown San Rafael windowfront and offered as a virtual exhibition on the AWD website, in the AWD online Gallery Store, and featured on social media. If Gallery 1337 remains open, the virtual gallery and online store will be utilized but the windows will not rotate.
- Sculptors: sculpture footprint must be less that 34" to fit in the windows. Larger footprints may be accepted, but will likely not receive window space if we are rotating.
Online Entry: AWD uses callforentry.org (CaFÉ) to process juried exhibitions. To submit entries, visit www.callforentry.org. First create a free profile then upload images to your portfolio. Second, apply to this call. The CaFÉ website provides all the assistance you should need to prepare your submissions and apply. If you have trouble sizing your image(s), use the links provided below for help. Before you start, we recommend reviewing the CAFÉ HELP page. We also recommend reviewing our CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by going to artworksdowntown.org > Exhibitions tab > Calls for Entry > Tips and Tricks. AWD does not provide technical assistance for submissions.
• 3D/sculptural entries: Since you can only submit one image per entry, we suggest submitting one image with two views.
• Free online image software: pixlr.com/editor; online-image-editor.com
• Make sure you are using the most updated internet browser. Check the CaFÉ help page or use this link:browsehappy.com.
Delivery of Accepted Work: Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours stated under Exhibition Calendar. All work must be ready for installation. Wall hung work must be securely wired. Artwork must be easy–and ready–to install. No substitutes will be accepted for works approved by the juror. Please also deliver an artist statement and resume for the exhibition binder. We do not print these materials for you. The artist must either email or mail the signed consignment contract before delivery, or include the signed hardcopy with delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call ahead to give the representative’s name. Apply only if you can arrange delivery on the specified date.
Covid-19 precautionary requirements:
• Everyone must wear a mask.
• One person in the Gallery at a time.
• The art center facilities, such as restroom, are not available.
Gallery Store: Artworks will be available for sale online via the Art Works Downtown Gallery Store. Patrons of the online store must make an appointment to pick-up their artwork. We do not provide delivery or shipping.
Pick Up: Artists who do not retrieve their work will be charged a storage fee of $3.00 per day. Works remaining after 30 days will become property of Art Works Downtown. One person at a time, masks required.
Sales: Art Works Downtown (AWD) accepts a 40% donation upon sale. AWD processes sales as follows. All checks and credit card sales will be made payable to Art Works Downtown. AWD then reports the sales tax and passes the net sale to the artist. The artist is responsible for donating 40% of the net sale total to AWD. It is not the artist’s responsibility to report sales tax. All sold artworks will remain on disply until the end of the exhibition. Patrons may retrieve their artwork when the exhibit ends. Sales will be paid to artists as soon as possible after the exhibition ends.