PO Box 216
Carrboro, NC 27510
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Member
State: North Carolina
Entry Deadline: 1/31/21
Number of Applications Allowed: 2
Images - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 6
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 6
- Hosting an annual Orange County Open Studio Tour, held the first two weekends in November (due to the Covid 19 Pandemic an online exibition was substituted in November and December of 2020) ;
- Hosting an information, education and demonstration booth each year at Festifall (due to the Pandemic, Festifall was cancelled in 2020);
- Providing a website to promote OCAG members’ artwork with contact information for an artist liaison to respond to queries about the guild and its artists from members of the public. All members are entitled to a page in the Gallery on the website and may include a link to their personal website;
- Offering organizational Facebook and Instagram page and a blog publicizing members’ events and recent artwork, articles written by members about artistic process and inspiration, and a publicly accessible calendar of members’ events;
- Hosting quarterly meetings for members with educational programs and speakers (due to the Pandemic these were cancelled in 2020);
- Coordinating forums and workshops on art related topics (due to the Pandemic there were not held in 2020);
- Maintains a listserv with opportunities for exhibition, jobs, and cultural events;
- Seeking out and coordinating opportunities to show and sell members work throughout the year;
- Promoting and organizing self-led artist interest and learning groups.
Membership is open to any individual artist who lives or maintains a studio in Orange County, NC and who has been juried into the Guild. The jury process takes place once a year to select new members. The jury’s decision is final. Neither the jury nor the Board of Directors of the Guild will provide explanations of jury findings or individual critiques for applying artists.
There is a $25 nonrefundable application fee. The application fee must be paid by the entry deadline.
Additionally, the annual membership dues are $100 per calendar year, January 1 - December 31. New members pay their dues after they have been juried into the Guild. Members may participate in any Guild show with payment of the appropriate event fee. The fee for Studio Tour participation is $500. This fee can be reduced to $250 by completing at least 8 hours of committee work.Please note that 8 hours are the minimum but, for an event to be successful, more than 8 hours may be expected. The Studio Tour is open only to members. All Studio Tour participants must maintain a page in the website Gallery. All members will be listed in the Guild Directory.
In 2020 the fee for the online show was $35 and the volunteer hours were not strictly enforced.
“Young Adult Emerging Artist” Opportunity
This year we are seeking 1 to 3 artists between the ages of 21 and 30 for our one year “Young Adult Emerging Artist” positions. If you fit this category, and live or maintain a studio within Orange County and are juried into the guild, the annual fee of $100 may be waived for one year, as will the $250 fee for participation in the Open Studio Tour and the fees for online exhibitions, if you are chosen for one of the 3 Emerging Artist slots. (The $25 application fee will still apply.) If you intend to exhibit during the Open Studio Tour, responsibility to work at least 8 hours on a committee in the Guild will apply to you as it does to all Tour artists (see above). Should a “Young Adult Emerging Artist" not have a space in which to display during the Open Studio Tour, the Guild will actively explore options for a space in which you can display your work during the Tour. (This could be shared space with an established Guild member.) Please Note: Applicants for the Young Adult Emerging Artist positions should not plan to be enrolled in a degree program (with the exception of BFA or MFA) during the year of their OCAG membership (from February through the following January.)
For consideration by the OCAG Jury, you must submit the following:
- 5 images of your work
- 1 image of Studio/ workspace (optional)
- 1 Resume (2 pages maximum)
- 1 Artists Statement (2000 character limit)
- Only five digital images should be of your art work. If you choose to submit it, the sixth image may be of your studio or working space (not including the artist).
- ENTERING YOUR IMAGES: Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up. Title of each image should start with your Last Name.
- Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 5MB, but at least 1200 pixels on the longest side. Images should be in JPEG or JPG format, sRGB color space.
An artist’s statement (2000 character limit) wherein you write about your artistic/creative philosophy, processes, and your intentions with your work. Talk about your work, describing to the jury what you do, how you do it, and your hope for its outcome. Please do not include your name in the artist's statement.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Can an artist apply to the Guild who works with more than one medium? Yes
- The applicant is permitted to submit a SINGLE application with work done in 2 distinct media (pottery and photography, for example), but the applicant should be forewarned that unless the work in both media is of superior quality, this is not recommended. Often such applications read as “weak” in a jury situation - like the applicant is not committed and “all over the place”.
- Or the applicant is permitted to submit up to 2 applications if they do work in two distinct media. The applicant in this case would submit one application for each medium with 5 separate images and a separate Artist Statement for each. With each application the $25 nonrefundable application fee is required.
1. A new applicants’ Q&A Zoom information session on January 10, 2021 at 1:00 pm. Please email Deborah Harris (email@example.com) if you’d like to attend.
2. Application submission closes at 11:59 pm on January 31, 2021.
3. Notifications will be sent out in mid to late February 2021.
4. A New Members Orientation Meeting will be scheduled on Zoom in February 2021 once the new membership is determined. You will be contacted about this following the Jury’s decision.