1337 Fourth Street, San Rafael, CA 94901
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 1/30/21
Days remaining to deadline: 11
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Theme: Color has long been credited for affecting our emotions and attitudes. We daily choose colors to wear, setting the tone for the day ahead. Artists instinctively choose colors that speak to the mood of a work they are creating. Sometimes extreme pleasure is found in the accidental or purposeful combinations of colors. One can feel uplifted by the saturation of even just one color. Think of the pleasure you feel with the colors of the work that you choose to submit for this exhibit.
Juror: Susan Press, Curator and Artist
- San Francisco Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael, California). Refunds will not be given to those who apply but don’t qualify.
- Size limit: artwork must not exceed 48” including frame, stand, and all materials. Sculptors: see Display Policy, below, for details.
- Open to most visual arts media. No video.
- Original artwork only. No giclées or reproductions. Editions are acceptable if they are original works such as printmaking, photography or limited original digital art.
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Artwork must be for sale.
- Apply through CallForEntry.org.
- AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
- January 30: Entries due via CallForEntry.org. Technically you have until 11:59 Mountain time (9:59pm Pacific time). Please note that we are not available for questions about applications after 1/29/2020.
- February 4 or 5: Notification by email. Separate emails are sent for “invited” and “not invited” submissions. NOTE: delivery is two weeks after notification.
- February 25–27, 10am–4pm: Deliver accepted entries. No exceptions. Masks must be worn. 1 person in the Gallery at a time. No restroom or art center access.
- March 5–April 11, 2021: exhibition dates
- March 12, 6pm: Virtual Reception and Virtual Art Walk, exhibitors are invited to present their artwork via Zoom. Space is limited.
- April 9, 6pm: Virtual Reception and Virtual Art Walk, exhibitors are invited to present their artwork via Zoom. Space is limited.
- April 14–17,10am–4pm: Pick up unsold artwork. Covid precautions apply.
Entry Fee: $40 for up to 3 entries. Discount provided for AWD Artist Members.
Display Policy: As of December 2020, Art Works Downtown remains closed to visitation. The display of artworks in this exhibition are guaranteed to be featured as a virtual exhibition on the AWD website, in the AWD online Gallery Store, on rotation in the Gallery 1337 downtown San Rafael windowfront, and featured on social media. If AWD is able to open to the public within county regulations, the entire exhibition will available to the public in the gallery space for a few afternoons per week. In this case, the virtual gallery and online store will continue but the windows will not rotate.
Sculptors: sculpture footprint must be less that 34" to fit in the windows. Larger footprints may be accepted, but may not fit in the window space.
Online Entry: AWD uses callforentry.org (CaFÉ) to process juried exhibitions. To submit entries, visit www.callforentry.org. First create a free profile then upload images to your portfolio. Second, apply to this call. The CaFÉ website provides all the assistance you should need to prepare your submissions and apply. If you have trouble sizing your image(s), use the links provided below for help. Before you start, we recommend reviewing the CAFÉ HELP page. We also recommend reviewing our CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by going to artworksdowntown.org > Exhibitions tab > Calls for Entry > Tips and Tricks. AWD does not provide technical assistance for submissions.
• 3D/sculptural entries: Since you can only submit one image per entry, we suggest submitting one image with two views.
• Free online image software: pixlr.com/editor; online-image-editor.com
• Make sure you are using the most updated internet browser. Check the CaFÉ help page or use this link:browsehappy.com.
Delivery of Accepted Work: Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours stated under Exhibition Calendar. All work must be ready for installation. Wall hung work must be securely wired. Artwork must be easy–and ready–to install. No substitutes will be accepted for works approved by the juror. Please also deliver an artist statement and resume for the exhibition binder. We do not print these materials for you. The artist must either email or mail the signed consignment contract before delivery, or include the signed hardcopy with delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call ahead to give the representative’s name. Apply only if you can arrange delivery on the specified date. Please note that other artists will be delivering and picking up during the same hours. You may need to wait for them to finish their process before entering the gallery.
Covid-19 precautionary requirements:
• Everyone must wear a mask.
• One person in the Gallery at a time.
• The art center facilities, such as restroom, are not available.
Gallery Store: Artworks will be available for sale online via the Art Works Downtown Gallery Store. Patrons of the online store must make an appointment to pick-up their artwork. We do not provide delivery or shipping.
Pick Up: Covid-19 precautions stipulated under Deliver of Accepted Work apply for Pick Up. Artists who do not retrieve their work will be charged a storage fee of $3.00 per day. Works remaining after 30 days will become property of Art Works Downtown. One person at a time, masks required.
Sales: Art Works Downtown (AWD) accepts a 40% donation upon sale. AWD processes sales as follows. All checks and credit card sales will be made payable to Art Works Downtown. AWD then reports the sales tax and passes the net sale to the artist. The artist is responsible for donating 40% of the net sale total to AWD. It is not the artist’s responsibility to report sales tax. All sold artworks will remain on display until the end of the exhibition. Patrons may retrieve their artwork when the exhibit ends. Sales will be paid to artists as soon as possible after the exhibition ends.