Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 3/15/21
Images - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 8
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 8
CALL FOR SCULPTURE ARTISTS / REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
TOWN OF AVON ART AROUND AVON PROGRAM for 2021
The Town of Avon, Colorado, (“Town”) requests proposals from multiple artists for the Art Around Avon Program to promote the display of visual sculpture art throughout the Town of Avon community for the benefit of residents and visitors. This is project of the Avon Town Council and Cultural, Arts & Special Events (“CASE”) Committee.
The enhancement of public places by integrating the creative work of artists improves the pedestrian experience and promotes vibrancy, creativity and livelihood in the community. The presence of and access to public art enlivens public areas and their grounds and makes them more welcoming. It creates a deeper interaction with the places where we live, work, and visit. Public art illuminates the diversity and history of a community, and points to its aspirations for the future.
Overview: The Art Around Avon is a new program with the goal of selecting up to nine (9) visual art pieces for installation in pre-determined outdoor spaces in early June 2021. Selected artists will be engaged by the Town and paid a $900 stipend. The selected artist’s work will be on exhibition in an outdoor location for up to twelve (12) months during which time the artist may make the work available for sale. The Town shall produce and distribute materials regarding the work for marketing purposes, including photographs of the work for publicity or study. The Town shall retain 20% of the gross sale price of the selected artist work on exhibition in the Town through the Art Around Avon program.
Project Intent: To establish the Art Around Avon Program to become an annual, year-long exhibition showcasing outdoor sculptures in visible places around the Town.
Project Budget: Selected artists shall be paid a $900 stipend per piece of work selected. The artist shall perform all services and furnish all supplies, material and equipment as necessary for the design, execution and fabrication of the work including transportation of the work to the installation site.
Site Description: Various visible outdoor locations in highly trafficked areas in the Town along main roadways, Main Street Mall, Nottingham Park and playgrounds. The ground level base or platform, and/or raised pedestal for the work is provided by the Town and will be either brick pavers, sandstone, reinforced concrete or cut stone; and, based off location of the installation.
Of high significance and priority is location #1 on Avon Road, round-about #4, at the conjunction of E. Benchmark Road and W. Benchmark Road. This location is considered the “Town Center” and will demand a larger and more prominent work with the ability to be seen by pedestrians from across Avon Road.
Attachment A provides the type of material for the base, platform, pedestal, brick pavers, etc., space size, size restrictions for work, and imagery or links to imagery.
- The Request for Proposals is open to all artists and artist teams residing and working in Colorado.
- All applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have all necessary documentation and permits to work in the United States at the time of submittal.
- Applicants must be able to complete and transport work before June 1, 2021.
- Applicants must be able to pick up work before June 6, 2022.
- Applicants must provide a statement regarding any conflicts of interest and listing of any litigation involving the artist in the past five (5) years and lawsuit dismissal and/or termination outcome
- Safe for pedestrians
- Of appropriate scale for street display
- Able to withstand high winds and/or substantial temperature changes
- Easy to maintain in an outdoor mountain environment
- Freestanding but attachable to cut stone pedestal, brick pavers, reinforced concrete pedestal, sandstone, steel base or mounting plate (provided by the Town) for exhibit purposes.
Application & Selection Process: The Town uses the web-based service, CallforEntry.orgTM, also known as CaFETM, to manage artist application and selection processes for the Art Around Avon program.
Application shall include:
- Artist and/or Artist Team Contact: Upload complete and accurate contact information.
a. Include 1 to 5 digital images of your proposed work.
b. Project statement describing your approach and intention for the work.
c. Special display and installation requirements for each entry.
- References & Past Work: Three (3) relevant project references to include the following for each project:
b. Scope and description of project.
c. Project budget.
d. Project timeline.
e. Project location.
f. Minimum of three (3) digital images and maximum of eight (8) digital images.
4. All selected artists must execute a copy of the Art Around Avon Agreement – See Attachment B.
· Artist Call for entry: January 20, 2021
· Deadline for entry: March 15, 2021
· Proposed selection notification: April 1, 2021
· Installation of work: June 1 through June 2, 2021
· Exhibition period for work: June 2, 2021 through May 23, 2022
· Art Around Avon Walk: June 4, 2021
· Decommission and removal of work: May 23 through May 24, 2022
· Disposal deadline: June 6, 2022