Maintenance Hole Cover
Contact Email: ArtistCall@santa-clarita.com
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 3/3/21
Images - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 20
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 20
The City of Santa Clarita (City) is seeking up to thirteen (13) one-dimensional designs for its Public Art program. Artist(s) are invited to submit between one (1) and three (3) final draft one-color vector illustrations. Up to thirteen (13) artists will be chosen to design maintenance hole covers in the Mercado Parking Lot at the Canyon Country Community Center. The all-inclusive budget for this project is $9,750 in total for all designs, which equals $750 per design.
The City is centrally located, just 30 minutes north of downtown Los Angeles. The City boasts year-round fun, abundant sunshine, a unique blend of upscale sophistication and small-town charm, historic elements, destination dining, signature shopping, outdoor adventure, and a variety of world-class events, scenic drives, and attractions. These characteristics and more make Santa Clarita the ultimate Southern California lifestyle with endless opportunities to get outdoors and enjoy the weather while biking, running, hiking, and swimming. Spending quality time with family and friends is easy to do at one of our many parks, along our trails, and throughout our open space and nearby lakes.
CALL SUMMARY / DESIGN GUIDELINES:
· It is desired for the designs to reflect a water theme.
· Final artwork must be submitted in a digital format to be determined by the manufacturer. (illustrator/vector/etc.) Artwork should be one-color scalable vector artwork. The art will be used to create a die to be stamped into metal to create the maintenance hole cover. See VIEW SITE DETAILS link above for an example of a completed maintenance hole cover from another similar project.
· Artists chosen agree to provide one round of revisions to artwork if needed to meet production budget.
· Creativity and innovation of design are encouraged.
· Artwork must be an original design.
· Artwork must be suitable for viewing by all ages.
· Artwork may not be created for advertisement or to promote business, product, or viewpoint.
· Designs must not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, business names, corporate or organizational branding, or images of drugs.
· Branding exception can be made to include ‘City of Santa Clarita’ or ‘Santa Clarita’ in the artwork if desired.
· Any type of visual artist is encouraged to apply.
· Illustrations must fit on a pre-determined template to be provided by the Maintenance Hole Cover manufacturer, approximately 39-3/8” diameter.
· On the Public Art App, the name of the artist(s), title of illustrations, year installed, 100-word narrative about the artwork, and information about the artist will be featured.
· Delivered artwork that differs significantly from approved application will be disqualified.
March 2021 – Entries juried by Artist Selection Committee
April 2021 – Selection of up to thirteen (13) finalists made by Artist Selection Committee
May 2021 - Arts Commission and City Council review and approval of finalist(s)
June 2021 - Selected finalist(s) notified by City staff
The multiple locations will be in the Mercado Parking Lot at the Canyon Country Community Center. Click here for more details: https://www.santa-clarita.com/city-hall/departments/public-works/capital-improvement-projects/proposed-canyon-country-community-center
The Canyon Country Community Center is being built on a six-and-a-half-acre lot. The building has a ‘California Rustic’ theme. The indoor facilities include a gymnasium, fitness center, arts and crafts room, classroom, activity/multi-use rooms, and a teaching kitchen. Outdoor there is a play area and half basketball court, an event area, and parking lot.
Up to thirteen (13) artists will be invited to create site-specific artwork proposals. One artist can have up to three different designs chosen. The total artist stipend is $750 per design for a total of $9,750 for all artwork.
Artists 18 years of age or older are invited to submit an individual or collaborative artist application. Artists must reside in the United States.
The required materials must be submitted electronically by midnight, February 28, 2021 through CaFÉ (http://www.callforentry.com).
1. Up to three final artwork entries (Upload as a separate file to CAFE. Artworks should be combined into one document before uploading. File not to exceed 2mb)
2. Cover Letter
3. Resume or CV
4. Up to seven (7) images of previous design work. (Upload from your CAFE portfolio)
5. Artist Statement
· Visual impact
· Interpretation and creativity
· Composition and design
· Design criteria and eligibility guidelines met
· Clarity of project-specific intent, relevant professional experience, and artistic vision, as expressed in Cover Letter, Resume/CV, and Artistic Statement
ARTIST RESOURCES / SANTA CLARITA COMMUNITY:
Links regarding the community and history of the Santa Clarita area:
· City of Santa Clarita – www.santa-clarita.com
· Public Art App - https://scpublicart.goodbarber.com/
· SantaClaritaArts.com - http://santaclaritaarts.com/
· Visit Santa Clarita - http://visitsantaclarita.com/things-to-do/outdoor-recreation/bike-rentals/
· Community Profile - https://www.santa-clarita.com/city-hall/30th-anniversary
For further information about the prospectus, please contact the City of Santa Clarita’s Arts and Events Division at ArtistCall@santa-clarita.com or (661) 250-3787.