8123 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Dexter, MI 48130
Contact Email: Jbreyer@dextermi.gov
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 2/26/21
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
The “Dexter Art Gardens” is an annual outdoor artwork exhibition sponsored by the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee and the City of Dexter. Four (4) temporary outdoor artworks will be juried and placed on temporary display with the City’s permanent collection for one (1) year: June 2021 – May 2022. The selected pieces will be installed on concrete pads in highly trafficked locations in historic Dexter, Michigan.
The City of Dexter is located seven miles west of Ann Arbor in Southeast Michigan, along the banks of the Huron River and Mill Creek. Residents and visitors can enjoy a day on a river, walk along nature trails, or bike on the Washtenaw County Border-to-Border Trail, stopping in our historic downtown for lunch and some shopping. Cultural activities and attractions include an artwork display, local theater, historical museum, summer concerts, ice skating in the winter, community festivals and several City parks.
- Each selected artist will receive an $900 stipend.
Definition of Artwork in this Call for Art
- Three-dimensional artwork suitable in scale and materials for public outdoor display.
Application and Project Timeline
- January 29, 2021 – Application period opens
- February 26, 2021 - Deadline for application submissions.
- Week of March 30, 2021 - Artist notification of selection by email or phone.
- June 1– June 15, 2021 - Artwork installation.
- May 15 – May 31, 2022 - Artwork removal appointments to be made during this time.
Benefits to the Exhibiting Artist
- $900 stipend to be paid after successful installation.
- Artwork exhibited at high visibility sites in the heart of Dexter, a cultural destination city in Southeast Michigan
- A plaque with the artist’s name, artwork title and price posted near the artwork.
- A year-long promotional campaign
- Print brochures - The City of Dexter will publish and make available to the public: online and print brochures throughout the year to inspire self-guided walking tours of the exhibition. These brochures are also distributed during the well-known and highly-attended annual Dexter Daze Festival and Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival (August 2021, if permitted).
- Electronic media – The City of Dexter will publish information about the artist/artworks on its website and Facebook page.
- “Dexter Art Gardens” is open to all artists 18 years of age and older.
- Artist may submit up to three (3) original artworks.
- Complete Applications - Applications, and all requested information, must be complete in full. The City of Dexter may, at its discretion, disqualify any incomplete application.
- Applications may be submitted through CaFE™
- Applications may also be submitted in hard-copy to the City of Dexter, 8123 Main St., 2nd Floor, Dexter, MI 48130 or via e-mail to JBreyer@Dextermi.gov, include Dexter Art Gardens in the e-mail subject line.