Schweinfurth Art Center
205 Genesee Street
Auburn, NY 13021
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
State: New York
Event Dates: 0/0/00 - 0/0/00
Entry Deadline: 9/1/21
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 2
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 2
Quilts=Art=Quilts is an international juried quilt exhibition at the Schweinfurth Art Center in Auburn, New York. The Art Center has been a longstanding proponent of quilts as a visual arts medium and has been presenting quilts in a gallery setting since 1981.
Jurors select quilts based on overall quality of design, visual impact and originality. Prizes are awarded, including $1,000 for Best of Show.
All entries must be made online through this website registration process. Artists may submit 2 artworks for consideration.
The entry fee for current members of the Schweinfurth Art Center is $30. The fee for non-members is $35. To get the membership discount you must call the Art Center at 315-255-1553 for the promo code.
Jane Dunnewold teaches and lectures internationally, and has mounted numerous solo exhibitions, including Inspired by the Masters (Texas Quilt Museum (2018) and the National Quilt Museum in 2019. A second mixed media series featuring re-purposed quilt blocks and gold leaf was exhibited at the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, Texas (2017) and at the Armory Art Center in West Palm Beach, FL.
Her work won Best of Show in the exhibition Timeless Meditations (Tubac Art Center/2013). She is a recipient of the Quilt Japan Prize, and Gold Prize at the Taegue (Korea) International Textile Exhibition. The San Antonio Art League named Dunnewold Artist of the Year for 2019. In 2020 her archives were acquired by the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska.
She is a former President of the international Surface Design Association and currently stewards the Creative Strength Training community online.
The fiber compositions of Karen Schulz have been described as sophisticated, elegant, and lively with a notable attention to detail and craftsmanship. Her work references a careful consideration of line, shape, color and texture resulting in images which seem to issue an invitation to enter and linger. Schulz’s work has been accepted into many national and international competitions, and has been exhibited widely in both solo and group exhibitions both in the United States and abroad. She has garnered many awards including, Best in Show at Quilt National 2019 and 2015 and a Juror’s Choice award at Quilt National 2017, Best in Fiber at the Creative Crafts Council Exhibition 2015 and Best in Show at the Quilts=Art=Quilts 2018 Exhibition. Her work is in corporate and museum collections.
Born, raised and educated in the Northeast US, Schulz has resided in the DC area for the last 45 years. While she has used a sewing machine since the age of 9 and created original, one of a kind quilts for the last 41 years, she came to artistic expression later in life and has pursued her art seriously and full time for the last 14 years studying with many notable artists in the field.
Dates to Remember
Entry Deadline: Sept. 1, 2021
Notification of Jury Results: Sept. 15, 2021
Delivery of Quilts: Sept. 27-Oct. 2, 2021
Artist Reception & Awards: Saturday October 23, 2021 5-8pm
Exhibition: October 23, 2021-January 9, 2022
Return shipping of quilts: Beginning January 12, 2021
An emphasis is placed on overall quality of design, originality and visual impact. Preliminary acceptance will be granted on the basis of the digital image submission. Prizes will be awarded for excellence in design and workmanship in multiple categories, including $1,000 for Best in Show. Prizes are determined after the exhibit is installed.
Definitions & Conditions of Entry
- A quilt is a fabric sandwich comprised of at least two layers: a top, a back and usually a filling. These are held together with quilting or tying threads. Integration of non-fabric items is acceptable.
- Up to two entries of original work per person are permitted.
- Preliminary acceptance will be granted based on digital images. Final acceptance will be granted after receipt and examination of quilt.
- The jurors and staff of the Schweinfurth Art Center reserve the right to refuse any accepted entry for exhibition if it does not contain the same qualities as the submitted image.
- Quilts must measure a minimum of 900 square inches total (height x width=square inches). The vertical dimensions of any single piece may not exceed 108 inches.
- Quilts must have been completed in 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021.
- Quilts must be in pristine condition and be show ready.
- Quilts with pre-programmed computerized machine quilting are not eligible.
- Quilts made or derived from kits, workshops, classes or commercial patterns are not eligible.
- Quilts must have a continuous 3” wide sleeve attached to the back of the top of the quilt. Exceptions are made if appropriate means of hanging or display is provided.
- Quilts must be available from Sept. 27, 2021- January 12, 2021.
- Quilts previously exhibited at the Schweinfurth Art Center are not eligible.
- Quilts that do not meet conditions of entry will not be accepted.
- The Art Center will retain a 25% commission on all sales made during the exhibition. An insurance value and a sale price, which includes commission (unless the quilt is not for sale), must be included in the application.
All images must be submitted through www.cafe.org. If you have trouble uploading your files- you must contact CAFÉ.org for support.
LIST OF ACCEPTABLE UPLOAD-READY FILE FORMATS
File Type: JPEG or JPG only.
File Dimensions: 1,200 pixels or greater on the longest side.
File Size: Under 5 MB.
Color Profile: sRGB
The entry fee for Members of the Schweinfurth Art Center is $30. The entry fee for non-members is $35. Entry fees must be paid online with a credit card at the time of entry. To receive your membership discount you must call the Art Center at 315-255-1553 for the promo code.
Notification of Acceptance
Notification of acceptance will be emailed Sept. 15th 2021.
All quilts must arrive at Schweinfurth Art Center between Monday, Sept. 27, and Saturday, Oct. 2nd, 2021. Hand delivery will be accepted within the same time dates during regular hours: Monday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm. We cannot accept deliveries on Sunday. Failure to provide an accepted work will result in the artist’s being ineligible for future exhibitions.
Artists are responsible for packing, shipping and insurance of accepted work to and from the Art Center. Work must be shipped in a substantial, reusable container. Artists must provide return shipping forms for quilts that need to be returned to artists by the Art Center via mail.
Quilts may be picked up from Tuesday, January 12, through Friday, January 15, 2021, from 10am-5pm or by appointment. Shipped work will be returned by mail beginning Wednesday, January 13, 2021.
Quilts must have an insurance value indicated on the entry form. It must be defendable in the event of a claim. The Art Center reserves the right to require a certified appraisal for any quilt valued over $1,000.
The Art Center will insure objects while on site for the insurance value indicated on the entry form. The Artist is responsible for insurance during shipping both ways.