Entry Fee (Artstra): $25.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 5
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 5
Event Dates: 11/6/21 - 11/7/21
CLARK COUNTY OPEN STUDIOS TOUR
Visual artists and artisans in Clark County, working in all media
Clark County Open Studios is a juried art event, offering a unique opportunity for you to gain further recognition as an artist, open your studio doors to the public, and show and sell your work. For the community, Open Studios is a free self-guided tour that will enhance awareness of talented local artists while enriching the cultural life of Clark County neighborhoods.
COVID PROTOCOL FOR PARTICIPATING ARTISTS
As a participating Open Studios artist, you can feel confident knowing the highest priority is given to the health and safety of you and your visitors. Our ONLINE GUIDE will be updated with the latest COVID protocols necessary to create safe spaces. With a diversity of studios, each artist will have their own safety protocols noted on their artist’s page on the Open Studios website.
ALL PARTICIPATING ARTISTS MUST CONFORM TO THE LATEST PROTOCOL INCLUDING FACE COVERINGS AND SOCIAL DISTANCING WHILE HAVING VISITORS IN YOUR STUDIO. IF YOU HAVE HEALTH CONCERNS AND ARE HIGH RISK WE ENCOURAGE YOU NOT TO APPLY.
- Expand your audience by sharing where and how you work.
- Take advantage of an opportunity to sell your work to the public. All proceeds from studio sales go to the artists unless your gallery contract specifies otherwise.
- Gain exposure through Open Studios’ print, web, and social media marketing—including postcards, flyers, local and regional advertising, yard signs, and more.
- An artist directory will be published on the Open Studios website, including up to 5 images, a link to the artist’s website, contact info, and more.
- Preview exhibit and artists' reception will feature one work of art from each participant. The hosting gallery will receive a 50% commission on sales during the preview. (If this conflicts with your local gallery contract, artwork can be marked NFS with courtesy of your local gallery.)
- Networking opportunities, meet and work with other local artists
Open Studios goes beyond the traditional art show in fostering a greater understanding of the artistic process by providing the public with an opportunity to enter the world of the visual artist and experience how, why, and where art is created. The Open Studios tour is designed to support key goals for Clark County’s arts community:
- Increase visibility and public awareness of practicing and accomplished creative artists in Clark County.
- Bring arts education and cultural enrichment to Clark County neighborhoods.
- Expand opportunity and accessibility for residents of all ages to experience art.
- Develop the county's cultural climate, enhance its image, and support the growth of the local economy through the arts.
Clark County Open Studios is open to a wide range of visual media including painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, wood, metal, glass, fiber arts, jewelry, photography, digital art, and printmaking. Art displayed in Open Studios must adhere to these guidelines;
- During Open Studios, participating artists must exhibit a minimum of 15 pieces of original art, created within the last three years.
- Reproductions are limited to 20% of an artist’s Open Studios display space and must be clearly labeled as reproductions.
JURY PROCESS, ACCEPTANCE, AND PARTICIPATION FEE
Clark County Open Studios will showcase art in a broad range of media and styles. The event contributes to public awareness of the quality and diversity of artists in our community. Because of the increasing number of applicants, jurying is competitive and there is strict enforcement of the guidelines. Participation is intended for professional artists who are actively producing and exhibiting their work. Application material will not be judged on personal tastes or preferences.
2022 JURORS TBA
After your non-refundable $25 application fee is received and your application has demonstrated that you meet studio eligibility requirements and art guidelines, the jury will view and score your submitted images using these criteria:
- Originality/Creativity: Does the artist’s work express a unique style/voice and vision?
- Craftsmanship/Use of Materials or Media: Does the artist’s work show mastery over his/her medium or innovative use of materials/media?
Artists who are accepted will receive an acceptance letter by June 10th.
A PARTICIPATION FEE OF $125 will be required to confirm your participation, paid through your CaFE account, DUE by June 15th.
Upon acceptance, you will have access to our Artist Login page with Open Studios tour essentials to help guide you with studio preparation, marketing plans, and a timeline of events.
While Artstra provides administrative event planning, marketing, and promotional support for participating artists, be aware that your active involvement and volunteer work by participating artists will be essential in making this a successful event.
Any questions or concerns regarding eligibility and participation guidelines please contact Jennifer Williams, Clark County Open Studios director, before applying.
HOW TO APPLY
First, note that YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE, so have your information and files available prior to filling out the online form.
1. Prepare 4 DIGITAL IMAGES OF YOUR ARTWORK. Images submitted must be created in the last 2 years and preferably available. These images will be used for the online guide and marketing purposes.
2. Optional: 1 IMAGE OF YOUR STUDIO SPACE. Your studio image can be just your space with artwork or show the artist at work. This image helps jurors see a perspective of your work and may be used for marketing promotion. NOTE: the CaFE system will not take the studio photo without adding a price so be sure to add a $1.00 figure in the price box.
3. Write a BRIEF artist statement, 1000 Characters, approximately 150 words, describing your creative process and inspiration, and have it ready to paste into the online application. This statement will be used for the online guide.
4. Fill out and submit the online CaFE application and pay the $25 application fee.
Participating artists MUST have a regular, ongoing studio workspace for creating art located within Clark County, Washington.
- STUDIO SHARING: Open Studios was created to offer the public an opportunity to be invited into the working spaces of Clark County's artistic community and to have an authentic experience visiting a working artist. It is not intended for temporary set-ups in businesses or pop-up spaces. Sharing space in another artist's studio must be approved on an individual basis and will only be granted when an artist's studio is inaccessible to the public.
- The studio must retain the atmosphere of an active workspace, with materials, equipment, and work-in-progress visible.
- Artists must agree to not exhibit, sell or host non-participating artists in the space over which they have interest or control. Artists working in cluster studios should encourage their fellow artists to apply for participation in Open Studios. Artists who are not officially participating in Open Studios are asked not to represent themselves in any way as Open Studios artists.