Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 8/1/21
Images - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 10
The City of Palmdale is seeking artist(s) for a defined piece as part of its Public Art Program. The selected kinetic sculptural piece will be permanently displayed in the Rancho Vista Park within the Therapeutic Wellness Garden/Meditation Space. The budget for this project is $25,000.
The City of Palmdale is located in northern Los Angeles County and lies in the Antelope Valley region of Southern California. The City is a High Desert community sprinkled with Joshua Trees and featuring quick access to state parks and monumental desert landscapes. The San Gabriel Mountains separate Palmdale from the Los Angeles basin to the south, providing relatively quick access to the cosmopolitan ammenities of Greater Los Angeles. These characteristics and more make Palmdale an ideal place to live, work, and play, with endless possibilities to enjoy the outdoors while hiking, biking, and running.
The climate in Palmdale is very hot and dry in the summer, and chilly to cold in winter, with snowfall possible.
CALL SUMMARY / DESIGN GUIDELINES:
· Sculpture should be kinetic, having moving parts activated by wind.
· There is no required “theme” but the context of the Therapeutic Wellness Garden/Meditation Space should be considered as a strong influence.
· Creativity and innovation of design are encouraged.
· Kinetic sculpture must be an original design.
· Sculpture must be family friendly and suitable for viewing by all ages.
· Sculpture may not be used for advertisement or to promote business, product, or viewpoint.
· Designs must not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, business names, corporate or organizational branding or images of drugs.
· Sculpture can be of any medium, but artists should consider structural and surface soundness and materials that can withstand outside and uncovered weather conditions as well as inherent resistance to theft and vandalism. Consideration should also be given to excessive maintenance and repair costs. Artists will be required to outline in their proposal, their history with the material as well as suggested maintenance schedule.
· Sculpture is intended to be on permanent display in the park and should have a projected lifespan of 20-30 years.
· Sculpture should not be interactive.
· Sculpture must fit within a 13’ by 13’ footprint. There is a grade difference of 2’ within the assigned footprint.
· Sculpture should be no more than 17’ in height on their own inclusive of a base.
· Sculpture should weigh no more than 3,000 pounds.
· Sculpture must be installed in a manner with sufficient anchoring to prevent the sculpture from being removed, tipped, broken or overturned due to wind, snowload or seismic activity.
· Sculpture must comply with standard engineering practices and requirements. If selected, the artist’s design and proposed installation plans must be formally reviewed by a California licensed engineer (hired by the artist) to address safety concerns the City of Palmdale may have. Blueprints and final 3D renderings will be required, if selected.
· An area near the artwork will be specified for use in presenting a plaque that indicates the name of the artist and specifics of the artwork.
· Artwork must be constructed of durable materials that are able to withstand the harsh weather conditions of the desert (high winds up to 110mph and extreme temperatures).
· Artwork will be evaluated to require that it does not present a hazard to public safety, and must conform to ADA standards, if applicable.
· A $25,000 honorarium will be provided for the selected kinetic artwork. A contract will be executed prior to installation.
August 1, 2021
August 9, 2021:
August 12, 2021:
Review by Artist Selection Committee followed by recommendations to Public Art Commission
August 25, 2021:
Public Art Commission selection of artist
Selected artist notified
The Rancho Vista Park will be located behind LA County Fire Department Station 136, at the Town Center Drive and Bolz Ranch Road intersection:
Additional site plan images:
A $25,000 honorarium will be provided for the selected artist. The City of Palmdale will accept proposals that have progress payments of no more than 50% up front and no less than 25% upon completion. The honorarium will include the following:
· Artist is responsible for delivery of artwork per scheduled date (TBD).
· Artist, or artist-contracted installation company, will install the sculpture on-site; City staff will be available for consultation.
· The selected artist will be required to include insurance coverage within their budget for the installation period only.
· The artist is required to provide installation instructions and a maintenance guide for proper care of the artwork.
· Artist is responsible for all associated expenses related to design, engineering, fabrication, transportation, and installation.
· Travel and hotel accommodations must be covered with the project’s proposed budget.
· If a protective coating to address environmental or vandalism concerns is deemed necessary, this must be covered by the artist’s budget and will be determined prior to fabrication.
Artists 18 years of age or older are invited to submit an individual or collaborative artist application.
The required materials must be submitted electronically by Sunday, August 1, 2021 through CaFE (http://callforentry.org ).
1. Cover letter;
2. Resume or CV;
3. A maximum of one sculpture for consideration per artist; up to five (5) images of proposed kinetic sculpture design (video submissions also accepted); acceptable forms of submission include final sketches, digital renderings, blueprints or other technical drawings, photos of completed work or work in progress, and other formats which provide conclusive evidence of a final design;
4. Up to five (5) images of previous sculpture work (video submissions also accepted);
5. Description of the sculpture must include: material(s), dimensions, previously shown location and dates (if applicable), and maintenance; and
6. Artist statement
Portfolio: 2-5 images of proposed work and up to 5 images of previous sculpture work. Image files should be labeled with last name, first name and number indicating your preferred viewing order. For example; John Doe would be saved as doejohn1.jpg.
· Visual impact
· Interpretation and creativity
· Composition and design
· Design criteria and eligibility guidelines met
ARTIST RESOURCES / PALMDALE COMMUNITY:
Links regarding the community and history of the Palmdale area:
· City of Palmdale – https://www.cityofpalmdale.org/
· Palmdale Public Art – https://cityofpalmdale.org/374/Palmdale-Public-Art
· Visit Palmdale – https://cityofpalmdale.org/574/Things-To-Do
· Discover Palmdale – https://cityofpalmdale.org/575/Discover-Palmdale
· Local History – https://cityofpalmdale.org/325/Local-History
For further information about the prospectus, please contact the City of Palmdale’s Public Art Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or (661) 267-5611.