999 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30309
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Residencies
Event Dates: 0/0/00 - 0/0/00
Entry Deadline: 5/7/21
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 8
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 8
Midtown Alliance | 2021 Heart of the Arts Studio Residency | CALL TO ARTISTS
Midtown Alliance is seeking applications from visual artists with an established arts practice motivated to utilize this residency to advance his/her/their creative development within the vibrant context of Midtown, Atlanta. The program provides a 12 month studio term, $2,500 stipend, and high quality presentation of work for view by the public. Additionally, the program provides opportunities to connect with Midtown-based arts institutions, curators, arts professionals, potential clients and collectors. This program is an extension of Midtown Alliance’s commitment to support the local arts economy and to provide opportunities to share new talent with the Midtown audience. Through their participation in the program, selected artists will help energize and enrich public spaces in Midtown, reinforcing the district’s identity as the Heart of the Arts. APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY MAY 7th 2021 | Applications will only be accepted through CaFE.
HEART OF THE ARTS STUDIO RESIDENCY OVERVIEW:
Midtown Alliance is pleased to announce the launch of a new artist-in-residence program and is now accepting applications for one year residencies at various sites throughout the district. The Heart of the Arts residency program is committed to the continued professional development of practicing Atlanta-based artists and will provide each artist-in-residence with: one year of free studio space; a $2,500 stipend; and high quality presentation of work for view by the public. In addition, the program provides opportunities to connect with Midtown-based arts institutions, curators, arts professionals, potential clients and collectors. Residing artists may be engaged by Midtown Alliance and/or partners to commission additional work for the benefit of Midtown’s public spaces.
The ideal candidate for the Heart of the Arts residency program has an established arts practice and is motivated to utilize this residency to advance his/her/their creative development within the vibrant context of Midtown, Atlanta. The artist-in-residence program is an extension of Midtown Alliance’s commitment to support the local arts economy and to provide opportunities to share new talent with the Midtown audience. Through their participation in the program, selected artists will help energize and enrich public spaces in Midtown, reinforcing the district’s identity as the Heart of the Arts.
The program launches this summer in partnership with Atlanta History Center Midtown and Portman Holdings at multiple Midtown locations.
In order to meet program eligibility for the Midtown Heart of The Arts Residency:
- The artist must reside in the Metro Atlanta region upon acceptance into the program
- The artist must retain residency in the Metro Atlanta region for the entire length of the residency.
- Must identify as a visual artist/creative and showcase a portfolio of work with a serious commitment to an artistic/creative practice. *Please note: we plan to expand the program to include a diverse and wide variety of creative disciplines in subsequent years.
- Must not be enrolled as a student in any degree-granting art program during the residency period
- Must not be enrolled as part of another studio residency program
- Must need a professional workspace to support a studio practice
By submitting an application to this program, the artist commits to:
- Being present and active for the duration of the residency cycle. Residents should plan to spend a minimum 10 hours per week working in the studio space.
- Participating in quarterly educational programming events such as artist talks, workshops, classes, lectures, mentorship, related to the artwork for the benefit of the public.
- Produce new original work for presentation in an ongoing exhibition display onsite.
- Providing a certificate of insurance for a general liability coverage for the awarded space that runs the duration of the residency term.
Each artist in residence will receive:
- Convenient access to a studio space in the Heart of Midtown
- A yearly stipend of $2500
- Studio visits that provide opportunities for artists to connect with and be in conversation with visiting curators, arts professionals, potential clients and collectors at established Midtown-based art institutions
- Consideration for upcoming commision opportunities with Midtown Alliance and its partners
- Opportunities to share their work with new audiences
- Public engagement opportunities through Midtown Alliance social media platforms
- Discounts & memberships at Midtown businesses & restaurants
In summary, artists are asked to provide:
ABOUT THE APPLICATION:
- artist statement
- statement of intent
- professional references
- eight (8) work samples and descriptions
HOW TO APPLY TO A CALL FOR ENTRY ON CaFE™
Go to CallForEntry.org. If this is your first time using CaFE, click Artist Sign Up and complete the free registration form. You must be registered before you can log in and apply to a call for entry.
Applying is a three-stage process. ALL steps must be completed to submit.
- STEP 1: My Portfolio. Upload work samples.
- STEP 2: Apply to Calls. Search calls and apply.
- STEP 3: Checkout. Complete and checkout.
REVIEW PROCESS & TIMELINE:
Jury assessment will take into consideration the overall body of work and its representation of the artist’s vision, commitment, and dedication to a studio practice. Applications should demonstrate how working in the Midtown District will advance the professional development of the resident artist.
The Midtown Alliance staff works to thoughtfully assemble a diverse group of jurors with a breadth of knowledge, perspectives, and experience to review applications. We encourage jurors and selection committees to actively consider and seek to recommend a diverse pool of applicants as finalists for the program.
Midtown Alliance acknowledges structural inequities that have excluded individuals and communities from opportunity based on race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, class, age, and geography, and strives to counter those inequities.
- May 7th: deadline to apply
- June 7th: public announcement of finalists
- June: Orientation, artists move into spaces
- July 2021 - July 2022: Residency Term
ABOUT THE MIDTOWN ALLIANCE HEART OF THE ARTS PROGRAM:
Mission: to support and amplify the arts in Midtown to create an exceptional and unique urban experience.
The Heart of the Arts initiative unites Midtown Alliance with the creative community in a cooperative relationship in which artists, creatives and arts organizations thrive and Atlanta’s arts economy benefits overall. Artists play prominent roles in facilitating community dialogue and in articulating shared stories and aspirations. Midtown citizens are encouraged and empowered to participate in creative endeavors and to contribute to discussions about art and humanities. Midtown emerges as a place where creativity and artistic expression are defining characteristics of the urban experience.
ABOUT MIDTOWN ALLIANCE:
Midtown Alliance is a coalition of Atlanta’s top business and civic leaders and the catalyst for continued growth and development in Midtown, Atlanta. Since 1978, Midtown Alliance has transformed a 1.2-square mile area in the heart of Atlanta into a premier destination for commerce, culture, living, education and leisure, attracting billions of dollars in investment, thousands of new residents and workers and 6 million annual visitors. Visit www.MidtownATL.com for more information about the district.
Guided by a long-range, community driven master plan (Blueprint Midtown), Midtown Alliance has spearheaded an urban renaissance that is now a nationally recognized model of success. Midtown is a vibrant city center inspired by what people and businesses want: a dynamic urban experience that is at once welcoming, walkable, convenient and attractive. Midtown Alliance is a non-profit organization funded in part by the Midtown Improvement District, membership dues and public and private grants. The organization implements a variety of programs and initiatives including streetscape and transportation infrastructure projects, urban design, a 24/7 public safety force, daily maintenance and landscaping, transportation alternatives and special events.