Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 6/29/21
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Entry Fee ( MEMBERS rate - Fresh Ideas 2021): $40.00
The Visual Art League (VAL) of Lewisville, Texas is pleased to announce a call for entries for Fresh Ideas 2021, a juried show to be held at the Lewisville Grand Theater Main Art Gallery in Lewisville, Texas July 17 - August 14, 2021.
Fresh Ideas is VAL's annual premier juried art exhibition, which is housed in the beautiful 2,000 sq. ft. Lewisville Grand Theater Main Art Gallery (see www.mclgrand.com and visualartleague.org). It is open to all visual artists 18yrs and older who reside in Texas. The non-refundable entry fee, for a maximum of (3) pieces is:
- $75 for non members of VAL (which includes one year's membership to VAL).
$40 for VAL members
*Membership forms to join VAL can be found at visualartleague.org/become-a-member
Exhibition Dates: July 17, 2021 - August 14, 2021
Deadline to enter: June 29th 2021 11:59 (Central Daylight Time)
Artist Notification: July 3th - 4th
Hand deliver work to Lewisville Grand Theater: July 13th, 2021
*Lewisville Grand Theater Staff cannot accept shipped artworks!
Opening Reception: July 17th, 2021
*TBD pending Covid restrictions
Pick up artwork: August 16th, 2021
- 1st Place - $1,000 and a solo show in summer of the following year at the Lewsiville Grand Theater.
- 2nd Place - $500
- 3rd Place - $250
- Four Honorable Mentions @ $100 each
- People's Choice Award - $100
Juror: John Cook
Bio and Qualifications:
Texas artist and educator, John Cooks paints with a passion compelled to capture Impressionist images on canvas and watercolor paper. His canvases are loose and energetic often painted alla prima or en plein air.
Beginning his career as an illustrator after graduating from the University of Texas at Arlington and the Art Center School in Los Angeles, John put away his pens and inks in 1990 to pursue his dream of becoming a painter. Through the years he has traveled extensively, achieving wide recognition and garnishing many Best of Shows at the National level. His most coveted award was given by the International Portrait Society of America for Top 27 Award of Excellence. Currently he is represented by The Southwest Gallery of Dallas with over a dozen solo art shows.
Inspired by Nicolai Fechin, John Singer Sargent, Winslow Homer and Joaquin Sorolla, John's style is loose and free, reflecting his passion to catch the mood with interplay of light and shadow as it dances and bounces across the canvas capturing "a kind of impatient realism."
John's greatest desire is to create works of art that elicit an emotional response. His priority is to "see beauty in God's creation, and strive to capture a glimpse of that perfection in paint."
Important Information on Delivery of Accepted Artwork:
- A link for Sign-Up Genius will be sent to artists to schedule an intake time.
- Work accepted into the exhibiton must be delivered to the Lewisville Grand Theater Main Art Gallery, 100 North Charles Street Lewisville, TX at your scheduled time.
- It is the responsibility of the artist to arrange for delivering their works themselves or by a representative of the artist.
- Any artwork not received at the Gallery by 5:00 pm on July 13th, will not be included in the show.
- Images of entries to be considered for the show must be submitted via Callforentry.org. Images must meet the requirements of that site for size and type of file to be accepted online. Artists may submit up to (3) pieces for consideration.
- Include on your application: After the title of your work on your application, include the type of medium. Example: "Still Life - "Digital Photography" or "Still Life - Charcoal on Paper"
(Due to the wide range of mediums that are allowed, this information will help the Juror when viewing each of the online submitted images).
- Original 2D and 3D artwork must have been created in the last two years, an must not have been previously shown in any VAL exhibits. The gallery is owned by the City of Lewisville and is considered family-friendly, so no explicit nudity, confrontationally political, or disrespectful religious images allowed.
- Maximum size for hung artwork is : 60x60, including frame.
- 2D artworks intended to be hung on walls, must look professionally finished and be ready for secure installation.
- Framed pieces must be equiped with d-rings attached to the back and stretched with wire. SAWTOOTH HANGERS AND UNIFRAMES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE! Please tape wire ends to prevent injury to the hanging committee.
- Wires when stretched to hang the artwork, should not come closer than two inches from the top of the frame, to prevent the hanger from showing when the picture is hung.
- Plexiglas, or similar material, must be used in place of glass for any artwork larger than 16" x 20".
- Diptychs, triptychs, or other multiple piece works constitute one piece, and must be no wider than 60" when hung together.
- Pieces that are hung may not be over 50lbs in weight.
- Hanging canvas pieces should have clean, gallery-wrapped edges or be framed. Depth of canvas determines finish. 1in or greater depth - a clean finished edge (no staples), or gallery wrapped. Less than 1" in depth - frame required.
- 3D artwork must be able to securely sit on a pedestal, no larger 20" x 14", or rest on the floor free standing, or safely hang using a wire.
- Any pieces - including sculpture - which are very heavy, the artist will be expected to assist with installation.
- Photography must be framed and matted or printed on gallery wrapped canvas. Photographs printed on metal or acrylic must be framed. Photography must meet the same standards as other 2D artworks.
- This is a jured show. The juror has the right to reject any submitted artwork during the jury process.
- VAL reserves the right to reject any accepted artwork if: it does not look professionally presented, framed pieces over 16" x 20" have glass, or it is not properly wired and ready for installation. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- ALL ACCEPTED WORKD MUST REMAIN ON EXHIBIT FOR THE DURATION OF THE FRESH IDEAS SHOW.
- It is required that artists who are accepted sit the Gallery for on half day during the exhibit. For artists living outside the immediate area, the Curator will coordinate with the artist for an acceptable substitution.