The Rice Gallery of Fine Art
4829 W. 119th Street
Overland Park, KS 66209
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 5/28/21
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
CALL FOR ENTRIES:
Stems Plein Air Paint, an annual plein air competition in the Kansas City area, is proud to offer our event this summer as a national juried show, welcoming plein air artists nationwide to join us!
This juried show is a unique opportunity for the national plein air community to safely compete and win cash prizes, including a $2500 Best of Show! Selected works will be promoted and sold in a public gallery exhibition at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art!
Stems Plein Air Paint is now accepting applications. Submit 1 to 3 images of your best 2021 plein air paintings. There is no painting event to attend and no restrictions on painting locales. Application deadline is May 28th, 2021.
Stems Plein Air Paint is brought to you by the Friends of Overland Park Arts, part of the Arts & Recreation Foundation of Overland Park.
- Submit 1 to 3 images of your best 2021 plein air work with your application to be evaluated on an individual basis by our panel of plein air jurors.
- All selected paintings will be eligible for multiple CASH PRIZES, including a $2,500 Best of Show Prize!
- All juried selections will be featured for sale in an exclusive gallery exhibition at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art. This show will be open to the public and promoted via email and social media to gallery clients, friends, and followers.
- All selected works will also be included in The Rice Gallery’s online store, and will be featured and promoted via Facebook & Instagram throughout the course of the exhibition.
- Selected works will also be eligible to be featured for sale in the Stems Plein Air sales tent at the Stems: A Garden Soiree ticketed event, a special one night only sale benefitting the Arts & Recreation Foundation of Overland Park (Covid-19 restrictions permitting).
Gallery, Event Sponsors, and Jurors
The Rice Gallery of Fine Art offers an extensive selection of original fine art in the Kansas City area, representing many fine artists from the Midwest region, as well as many established artists from across the nation. We proudly support the arts by organizing, hosting, and promoting an array of fine art events throughout the year.
Stems Plein Air Paint is one of Kansas City’s longest running annual plein air competitions based in Overland Park, KS and is brought to you by The Rice Gallery of Fine Art and Friends of Overland Park Arts, part of the Arts & Recreation Foundation of Overland Park, and its mission to expand arts opportunities and public art in Overland Park, KS.
The jury will be comprised of experienced fine art curators and professional art gallery personnel. They will use their collective knowledge and trained eyes to select a survey of the finest PLEIN AIR PAINTINGS from those submitted.
Rules and Regulations
- All entries must be submitted via CAFÉ (www.callforentry.org) by Friday, May 28th, 2021.
ENTRIES AND FEES:
- A non-refundable application fee of $30 will be collected from each artist submitting their works.
- This fee is payable online only by credit card via CAFÉ (www.callforentry.org).
- Limit one application per artist.
- Each artist may submit a maximum of 3 images (1 to 3 images) with their application.
- The artist will be responsible for ALL shipping expenses, to and from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, on any works selected for exhibition (see SHIPPING POLICY below).
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY:
- All submissions MUST BE ORIGINAL PLEIN AIR PAINTINGS painted in the year 2021.
- All subjects and painting styles are welcome as long as they are plein air paintings.
- Any work accepted to the juried show MUST BE present and available for sale for the duration of the scheduled exhibition.
- Prints, reproductions, and photography ARE NOT ELGIBLE for submission.
- All artwork MUST BE completely dry, framed, wired securely, and ready to hang in a fine art gallery setting.
- Canvases MUST BE framed or museum wrapped with finished/painted edges and wired to hang.
- Works on paper and mediums prone to smearing/smudging MUST BE protected under glass or plexi-glass.
- The Rice Gallery of Fine Art reserves the right to reject any artwork deemed improperly framed or improperly prepared for hanging.
- Please do not submit any paintings that are not for sale.
- SIZE LIMIT: The unframed size of each painting submitted should not exceed 48 inches at its longest dimension.
- Please only submit paintings that can be easily packed, shipped, and re-packed safely to and from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- Please do not submit any paintings that require additional freight services. Please use standard shipping services only please.
- Selected works MUST BE received by The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, via local delivery or shipment, no later than Monday, June 21st, 2021.
- All paintings submitted will be reviewed by our jury after the submission deadline.
- Each artist may submit up to 3 plein air paintings to be judged.
- Each painting is evaluated on an individual basis and, therefore, considered on an individual basis for exhibition as well, not as a group.
- Juried selections will be announced via CAFÉ and/or via email no later than Monday, June 7th, 2021.
- ABSOLUTELY NO PACKING PEANUTS PLEASE! ABSOLUTELY NO PACKING PEANUTS PLEASE!
- The artist is responsible for ALL shipping expenses, to and from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, on any works selected for the exhibition.
- The artist is also responsible for any shipping insurance related to their paintings while in transit to and from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- The Rice Gallery of Fine Art IS NOT responsible for any work that is stolen, lost, or damaged once picked up by the shipper for return.
- All works of art shipped to The Rice Gallery of Fine Art MUST BE shipped securely and safely with packing materials that are easy to unpack and can be re-used to easily re-pack and return, any works that have not sold by the exhibition’s conclusion, to the artist at their expense.
- All shipments MUST BE sent “SIGNATURE REQUIRED” in order to be safely received by The Rice Gallery during their normal hours of business (10am-6pm Monday-Saturday).
- The Rice Gallery IS NOT responsible for any lost packages left with no signature required.
- ALL SHIPMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MONDAY, JUNE 21st, 2021.
- Please use packing materials appropriate for safe shipping to and from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- Shipments that appear to have major damage upon receipt will not be opened and the artist will be contacted immediately to assist in assessing the damage and determining how to proceed.
- The artist will also be contacted immediately if any major damage is discovered once a painting is unpacked.
- Minor scuffs and scratches to frames as well as typical wear and tear will not be considered “damage” and will be deemed acceptable at the discretion of The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
LOCAL DROP OFF/PICKUP OPTION
- Artists are welcome to deliver/pickup their works in person (by appointment) at their discretion. Artists may arrange for other individuals to deliver/pickup their works (by appointment) by contacting The Rice Gallery of Fine Art beforehand.
EXHIBITION AND PRIZES:
- All selected paintings that are properly shipped and received properly framed/finished/wired/mounted will be hung and displayed for sale in a gallery exhibition at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- The exhibition will be open to the public on Friday, July, 2nd, 2021 at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art in Overland Park, KS.
- Although the show will be open to the public, there will be no in-person opening reception for the show.
- *The Rice Gallery of Fine Art reserves the right to adjust/reschedule the opening date and length of the exhibition with regard to social distancing guidelines and public health protocols related to Covid-19.
- All selected works will also be included and for sale in The Rice Gallery’s online store.
- The Rice Gallery will also feature and promote all selected works via Facebook & Instagram throughout the course of the exhibition.
- This show will be promoted via email and social media to gallery clients, friends, and followers.
- All paintings selected for exhibition are eligible for multiple cash prizes, including a $2,500 Best of Show Prize!
- Prize winners will be announced on or after the day the show opens to the public.
- All prize money will be paid to the winning artists at the show’s completion via check and mailed to the address provided in the artist’s application.
- All paintings selected for this exhibition will be considered consigned inventory of The Rice Gallery of Fine Art and MUST BE for sale.
- A predetermined retail sales price MUST BE provided by the artist for each painting submitted to the show.
- Sales prices must be provided when submitting your works for judging.
- Sales prices for paintings cannot be raised or changed after they have been selected for the show.
- The Rice Gallery of Fine art will collect a 40% commission on any paintings sold during the gallery exhibition.
- The Rice Gallery’s commission will be deducted from the original sales price provided by the artist during the submission process.
- Prior to receiving their portion of a sale, the artist must complete and submit a 2021 w9 form for tax purposes.
- The artist’s portion of all sales will be paid at the show’s completion via check and mailed to the address provided in the artist’s application.
EXHIBITION CLOSE AND RETURN OF UNSOLD WORK:
- The exhibition officially ends Saturday, July 31st, 2021.
- *The Rice Gallery of Fine Art reserves the right to adjust/reschedule the closing date of the exhibition with regard to social distancing guidelines and public health protocols related to Covid-19.
- All unsold work will be returned via shipment or local pickup (by appointment), just as it was received.
- Artists will be contacted after the show’s conclusion with instructions regarding return shipments or local pickup appointments of any unsold works.
- Paintings being returned via shipment will be packed and returned in the same packing materials they arrived in.
- The artist is responsible for arranging the return shipment of their painting(s).
- Pre-paid return labels may be enclosed in the original shipment or emailed to The Rice Gallery once the show has ended.
DEADLINE/IMPORTANT DATES SUMMARY:
- 5/28/2021 - All entries are due via CAFÉ.
- 6/7/2021 - Juried Selections announced via CAFÉ no later than this date.
- 6/21/2021 - Selected paintings must be received via shipment or hand delivered to the gallery by this date.
- 7/2/2021 - Show is open for public viewing at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- 7/31/2021 - Show concludes.