Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Event Dates: 7/7/21 - 7/31/21
Entry Deadline: 6/21/21
Images - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 8
Total Media - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 8
EXTENDED DEADLINE: MON. JUNE 21- MIDNIGHT
Hot Summer City: Street Photography Exhibition will be held in the cultural heart of Pittsburgh, PA: Lawrenceville. Home to celebrated street photographers Charles "Teenie" Harris, Saul Leiter, and notable Pop Art Icon Andy Warhol, the former steel making capital is now referred to as "The Paris of Appalachia" due to its deep connections to the arts and world-class museums.
Vestige Concept Gallery is seeking street photography that captures the essence of urban life in the summertime. Summer is an intense and multifaceted season that brings joy, freedom, and social opportunities. When we think of representing the season through photography we envision intense warmth, deep shadows, and/or depictions of late nights, summer fun, and enjoying being outdoors. We are also interested in work that captures the dark side of summer: oppressive heat; urban blight; and the struggle to keep cool, hustle, and survive. The show will be Special Guest Curated by Rafael Fuchs.
About the Curator:
Rafael Fuchs is a Brooklyn-based artist, photographer, director, curator and producer. A recipient of many awards, Rafael has captured portraits and images of some of the most influential figures of the past 30 years. His images have fronted magazine covers, and have become part of distinctive private collections and Museums around the globe, including The National Portrait Gallery in London. (Portraits of JK Rowling and Emily Watson.)
In 2012 Rafael launched Fuchs Projects art space, with its headquarters in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY. This open creative lab features his works, as well as artworks of many other emerging artists. It has also been featured in numerous art fairs, such as Scope Miami, Art Market Hamptons, Select NY, Affordable Art Fair Amsterdam, Art Karlsruhe Germany, and more.
Rafael Fuchs’ work is diverse, and includes portraits, fashion, personal social documentary, and street photography. He published 12 books including:
“I AM AMERIKAN” (2011)
"Bushwick Forever_Volume 1” (2016)
"WOMEN R BEAUTIFUL” ( Volumes 1-4) 2019-2021
His street work in both Bushwick, Brooklyn, and Europe, often captures new and emerging trends, as well as the impact of gentrification.
Among the long list of well-known personalities that he has captured are: Burt Reynolds, Mary J. Blige, Colin Powell, George Steinbrenner, Frank Stella, Paul Cadmus, Barry Diller, Heather Graham, Julia Stiles, Pink, John Cameron Mitchell, Sir Jonathan Ive, Beyonce, Destiny’s Child , Patty Hearst, Malcolm McLaren, Nathan Lane, Regis Philbin, Larry King, Ang Lee, Howard Bloom, George Plimpton, Grand Master Flash, Dave Eggers, John McCain, Derek Jeter, Steve Case, Bob Denver (Gilligan), James Marsden , Geoffrey Rush, Bobby Flay, Tony Bennett, Alber Elbaz, Arlo Guthrie, Darren Aronofsky…to name a few.
He resides in Brooklyn, NY and works between NYC-Zurich-Copenhagen-Tel Aviv.
HOT SUMMER CITY IN-PERSON OPENING RECEPTION will be held Saturday, July 10th, at 6 PM.
- Street Photography Exhibition is open to any artists over age 18, Internationally. International- please see note below.
- Work should ideally have been created in the last three years, and should encompass the theme of the show.
- Work should ideally fall into a standard print size for photography, such as 10"x 13", or 11" x14 ", however, we accept all sizes. It is important to note the turnaround time (for printing, shipping, etc.), if accepted.
- Work must not have been previously displayed in a Vestige Concept Gallery exhibit.
- Work must be for sale.
- Work should be ready to print, ready to frame (or already framed), and ready to ship, if accepted. The Gallery adheres to tight monthly exhibit deadlines.
- Entries and fees will be processed only through www.callforentry.org
- Applicants may submit up to 2 entries. These two entries are included in the $25 application fee.
- An additional charge of $5 per entry is charged for any additional submissions, up to 8 total.
- EXTENDED APPLICATION DEADLINE is Monday, June 21st, 2021
- Artists will be notified of acceptance Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021-Wed., June 23rd.
- Shipped works of art must arrive no later than Thursday, July 8th, 2021.
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
- Artists accepted into the show must send an email confirmation upon acceptance, plus provide a high resolution 300 dpi image of the accepted piece(s) along with an artist pic, short bio, and web/social links (if applicable). These items are necessary for the Online version of the show. By submitting this information, you provide Vestige Concept Gallery all rights to post the work on their gallery website and within a paper brochure for the event. (Please also see our legal agreement for use of images and other material for promotional purposes).
- Accepted artwork must be the actual artwork as seen in the submitted images. No substitutions. Vestige Concept Gallery reserves the right to pull any artwork that differs from the images in the accepted submission.
- Accepted artwork listed for sale must be for the price listed in the submission. No price changes.
- Vestige Concept Gallery will retain a 25% commission for any artwork sold, please factor this into your pricing.
- Artists are responsible for shipping & optional shipping insurance to and from Vestige Concept Gallery. A prepaid return shipping label must be included. Fedex or UPS only. No cash or checks.
- Shipped work must be sent in reusable, sturdy boxes and marked with your name. No loose peanuts. Artwork framed with glass is the responsibility of the artist. Artwork with glass that arrives in broken condition may be pulled from the event if artist is unable to remedy the issue.
- Late or damaged work will not be exhibited.
- Art damaged in transit is solely the responsibility of the artist and shipper. Artwork may also be hand-delivered, if applicable.
- Wall pieces MUST be securely wired, framed, and properly prepared for display. Painted edges and/or a clean-edge gallery wrap is ok. Medium/large sawtooth hangers are acceptable for photography.
- 2D Work must not exceed 30 lbs, including frame.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: Please contact the Gallery prior to submitting your application.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: MON. JUNE 21- MIDNIGHT !
June 22-23: Acceptance notification
July 8: Deadline for shipped or dropped-off work
July 10: Opening Reception
July 11: "Safe" Walkthru Day (if applicable)
August 2: Show closes
August 3: Unsold artwork is packaged and shipped back
Any questions please reach out to: email@example.com
All applications must be received through callforentry.org