Emeryville Celebration of the Arts, Inc.
P.O. Box 8126
Emeryville, CA 94662
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 7/31/21
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Show Dates: October 2- October 24, 2021
CALL FOR ENTRY
First held in 1987, the Emeryville Annual Art Exhibition was initially conceived as an event to recognize the City’s active and visionary partnership with the Emeryville Artists’ Cooperative. Through the Redevelopment Agency’s participation in the purchase of the Cooperative’s warehouse, the City played a major role in stabilizing the live/work environment so vital to its creative community. While the concept of the Exhibition began as a celebration of this partnership, it quickly expanded to embrace the entire artist population of Emeryville.
The mission of the Emeryville Celebration of the Arts, Inc., the non-profit organization responsible for the Annual Art Exhibition, is to foster an appreciation of the arts and artists of Emeryville, and to promote our city’s image as a culturally vital and progressive center for living and working. Its purpose is
- to produce and coordinate community-based events and programs to meet its primary goals:
- to enhance the quality of life in Emeryville;
- to recognize the arts as a major cultural and economic resource;
- to increase citizen involvement in the arts through an active partnership of our business, residential and arts communities;
- to increase public awareness of the rich diversity of all forms of creative expression in Emeryville; and
- to partner with the City of Emeryville in the Rotten City Emeryville Cultural District, a program of the California Arts Council.
- Open to artists and craftspeople living and/or working in Emeryville, 18 years or older.
- All visual media will be considered as well as performance arts.
Curator and Jurors
Kathleen Hanna will curate the 35th Annual Art Exhibition. Ms. Hanna is an independent curator and exhibition designer. The other jurors are Rory Padeken, Curator, San José Museum of Art and Jan Watten, Founder/Curator, Gray Loft Gallery, Oakland.
The decision of the jurors will be final.Entry Information
- 3.5 hours of volunteer time will be required of each accepted artist or a $75. in lieu fee
- Selection of work will be online only through CaFÉ. Accepted work will be disqualified if misrepresented or if photos of work are digitally enhanced. For the size requirements visit the link:
- Only five artworks images are allowed per artist or three video or audio entries. Use specific language for the titles of the images you are submitting (ie. Image_Name; Image_Name_Detail). Once again, you may only submit five artwork images or three vidoes or three audio entries.
- Only works not previously shown in the Emeryville Annual will be eligible.
- Applicants are encouraged to show work completed within the last five years.
- Jurors will be seeking to view finished artwork and craft.
- Artists will be notified in mid-August of the acceptance of their work. Receipt of the artist’s completed registration form constitutes the artist’s agreement with all conditions established in this prospectus.
- Sales of work included in the Exhibition will be encouraged. A commission of 25% of any sale will be donated to the Emeryville Celebration of the Arts, Inc.
- A catalog listing the works exhibited may be available.
- There will be no substitutions for selected work.
Artist’s bio/resumé will be requested in August. Accepted artwork images may be included in a catalog and/or used for publicity without compensation.
Online entries will close at 10:59 p.m., Pacific Daylight Time on Saturday, July 31, 2021. No further entries will be accepted via the online portal after this deadline. Late, incomplete or noncompliant entries will not be considered.
Purchase AwardThe City of Emeryville Art in Public Places Program will consider accepted artwork at the 35th Annual Art Exhibition for a purchase award. Only entries that are for sale are eligible. The selected artwork will become a part of the City’s permanent collection.