1337 Fourth Street, San Rafael, CA 94901
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 9/2/21
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Theme: Art Works Downtown invites artists to submit artworks about transformation, remembrance, or rebirth for the exhibition Skulls and Roses. All media and modes of expression will be considered. The exhibition intends to offer catharsis during this time of transition out of the pandemic while correlating to San Rafael’s Día De Los Muertos celebration. Submissions are not required to include skulls or roses nor do they need to be in the style of Día De Los Muertos. Submissions should be your own expression of transformation, remembrance or rebirth. In correlation with the exhibition and community celebration, AWD will include a community altar as part of the exhibition.
Juror: Camilo Villa is a Colombian interdisciplinary artist, designer, activist and educator based in Oakland, California. He is the Art Gallery Director at San Francisco State University from which he holds an M.A. in Education. www.camilovillastudio.com
- San Francisco Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael, California). Refunds will not be given to those who apply but don’t qualify.
- Size limit: artwork must not exceed 72” including frame, stand, and all materials.
- Open to all visual arts media. Video artists must include dimensions of equipment in application and all equipment—including headphones—for the exhibition.
- Original artwork only. No giclées or reproductions. Editions are acceptable if they are original works such as printmaking, photography or limited original digital art.
- Images of explicit sexual content or violence will not be considered.
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Artwork must be for sale.
- Apply through CallForEntry.org. AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
- September 2: Entries due via CallForEntry.org. Technically you have until 11:59 Mountain time (9:59pm Pacific time). We are not available for questions about applications after 9/1/2020.
- September 9–10: Notification by email. Separate emails are sent to announce “invited” and “not invited” submissions.
- September 24–26, 10am–4pm: Deliver accepted entries.
- October 1–November 12, 2021: Exhibition dates
- October 8, 5–8pm: reception and Art Walk, in-person (subject to change depending on shifts in pandemic safety). This will be AWD’s first official post-Covid, in-person event!
- November 12, 6pm: closing reception and Art Walk, in-person (subject to change depending on shifts in pandemic safety)
- November 13–14,10am–4pm: Pick up unsold artwork.
- Open Hours: Art Works Downtown Gallery 1337 is currently open Fridays 5–8pm, Saturdays and Sundays 1–5pm. These are the guaranteed minimum open hours for the exhibition. Art Works Downtown open hours are limited due to rebuilding our organization from the pandemic. Open hours may increase, but are not guaranteed.
AWD uses callforentry.org (CaFÉ) to process juried exhibitions. To submit entries, visit www.callforentry.org. First create a free profile then upload images to your portfolio. Second, apply to this call. The CaFÉ website provides all the assistance you should need to prepare your submissions and apply. If you have trouble sizing your image(s), use the links provided below for help. Before you start, we recommend reviewing the CAFÉ HELP page. We also recommend reviewing our CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by going to artworksdowntown.org > Exhibitions tab > Calls for Entry > Tips and Tricks. AWD does not provide technical assistance for submissions.
• 3D/sculptural entries: Since you can only submit one image per entry, we suggest submitting one image with two views.
• Free online image software: pixlr.com/editor; online-image-editor.com
• Make sure you are using the most updated internet browser. Check the CaFÉ help page or use this link: browsehappy.com.
• First-timers: please note that adding images to your account Portfolio does not mean you submitted them to the call. You will need to add the images from your Portfolio to the call when you apply.
Delivery of Accepted Work: Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours stated under Exhibition Calendar. All work must be ready for installation. Wall hung work must be securely wired. Artwork must be easy–and ready–to install. No substitutes will be accepted for works approved by the juror. Please also deliver an artist statement and resume for the exhibition binder. We do not print these materials for you. The artist must either email or mail the signed consignment contract before delivery, or include the signed hardcopy with delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call ahead to give the representative’s name. Apply only if you can arrange delivery on the specified date. Please note that other artists will be delivering and picking up during the same hours. You may need to wait for them to finish their process before entering the gallery. Covid-19 precautionary requirements: unvaccinated people must wear a mask.
Pick Up: Artists who do not retrieve their work will be charged a storage fee of $3.00 per day. Works remaining after 30 days will become property of Art Works Downtown. One person at a time, masks required. Artworks may be retrieved on the evening of the closing reception only after 8pm and only after you have received permission from an authorized AWD staff person.
Sales: Art Works Downtown (AWD) accepts a 40% donation upon sale. AWD processes sales as follows. All checks and credit card sales will be made payable to Art Works Downtown. AWD then reports the sales tax and passes the net sale to the artist. The artist is responsible for donating 40% of the net sale total to AWD. It is not the artist’s responsibility to report sales tax. All sold artworks will remain on display until the end of the exhibition. Patrons may retrieve their artwork when the exhibit ends. Sales will be paid to artists as soon as possible after the exhibition ends.