Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 10
Audio | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 1
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 14
Budget: 3,000 (The selected artists will each receive a stipend of $3,000 for the two-year lease of their artwork with $1,500 upon installation, and $1,500 upon removal.)
The southwest edge of Prairie Village, Kansas has undergone a true renaissance in the last 5 years as the former Meadowbrook Country Club and golf course was renovated into the 80-acre Meadowbrook Park, the Meadowbrook Inn, Kessler Residences, Meadowbrook Senior Living, and more. This resurgence of activity has spurred investment in neighboring parcels including the Meadowbrook Shopping Center which will be completely renovated in 2022.
To complete the renovation, the Prairie Village Arts Council (PVAC) and the R.H. Johnson Company (RHJC) are seeking two contemporary public artworks from two separate artists for initial 2-year lease contracts of a new rotating outdoor sculpture program at the renovated Meadowbrook Shopping Center at 95th and Nall in Prairie Village, Kansas.
PVAC and RHJC encourage proposals that show creativity as well as a broad range of general public appeal.
Proposals can be new or existing work. If existing, work must have been created within the past 3 years. If new, must be ready for installation per the project schedule. Artists working in a variety of materials are encouraged to apply, including but not limited to stone, metal, wood, concrete, found objects, natural materials, plastics, fiberglass, light, sound, etc.. Artists must be able to adhere to the project timeline. A certificate of general liability insurance is necessary for all selected artists, proof of which will be required upon signing the RHJC contract.
We are looking for works that:
- capture the attention and engagement of the public;
- that are whimsical, kinetic, eye-catching, sound-making and/or physically interactive in some way, including art that is suitable for a hands-on outdoor exhibition that you can sit on, climb into, photograph yourself inside, etc.;
- complement the shopping center design so as not to impede the use of space;
- relate to the surroundings and inspire a connection to place;
- appeal to a broad audience of users, including people of all ages and abilities, through a work that is accessible and inviting;
- suitable for interaction with children, and must:
- include protection from possible injury from materials, and
- not include sharp objects or be easily climbable to unsafe heights.
- Art must be a minimum of 5’ in at least one direction and no taller than 8’.
- All art must be an original creation by the artist.
- Works of art shall not create inordinate safety problems or liability problems for the general public, the Prairie Village Arts Council or the R.H. Johnson Company.
- *NOTE: one sculpture will be central to a water fountain setting.
- Current CV/resume
- Artist Statement limited to 1 page (see below)
- 3-10 images of the art to be considered for this exhibition, showing all sides of the work. Showing the scale of the work is helpful.
- Sculpture information which includes: title, date created, material, size, (height, width, depth), weight, special installation requirements, value of sculpture, selling price, and an artist's statement about the specific piece.
- An optional audio file of less than 3 minutes describing you, your artwork, and your process.
- If the sculpture has sound or light components and/or is kinetic, artist should include 1 short video of no more than 3 minutes
Applications must include an artist statement for consideration that describes the artist's creative background and creative process. The artist statement shall also include the qualities that your piece will contribute to the Meadowbrook Shopping Center, its surroundings, and overall identity.
Open to all artists, 18 years of age or older, whose submitted artwork and/or portfolio meet the stated project goals.