Contact Email: email@example.com
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $35.00
Media Fee(Media Fee): $10.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 6
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 6
State: New Mexico
Event Dates: 1/4/22 - 2/5/22
- Submission deadline: November 20, 2021
- Notification of accepted works: December 4, 2021
- Works due at the Gallery: December 21, 2021
- Unsold works picked up/returned: February 6, 2022
- Show dates: January 4 - February 5, 2022.
About the Exhibition:
A core principle of Strata Gallery is to feature artists whose work in some way does not fit into recent or current aesthetic, ideological, thematic, representational or commercial trends within the art world. Against the Grain focuses on work that in some way counters contemporary tendencies or fashions in recent visual art. Such work might be unconventional in terms of materials, format, representational methods, concept, emotional range, predominant mood, visual, cultural or historical references, viewpoint, politics, narrative, expressive impetus, relationship to tradition, motivation, narrative devices, subject matter, or composition.
Against the Grain is a juried exhibition held at Strata Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The event will run from January 4 - February 5, 2022.
$200 - Best of Show (1)
$150 - Director's Choice (1)
$50 - Honorable Mention (3)
About the Juror:
Stephanie Jacinto is the Assistant Director at Strata Gallery and is a second-year MA student in the History of Art at the University of New Mexico where she studies Critical Race Theory and Modern U.S. Art History. Her primary research interests include the representation and reception of identity-based politics in U.S. visual culture.
About Strata Gallery:
Strata Gallery is a non-profit artist member gallery that strives to showcase the work of internationally Established Artists, while also promoting Emerging Artists who may struggle for gallery exposure. Our established artists help validate the promise of those who are still emergent, and the Strata gallery encourages creative partnerships and mentorship between these two groups. Strata Gallery does not favor any distinct style and promotes a range of authentic individual expression embodying diverse material practices, imagery, style, and ethos.
- Submission fee is $35 for three works. $10 per additional entry (maximum of three additional entries). Overall maximum of 6 works total.
- Payment: card and PayPal only (through CallForEntry.org)
- All artwork must be ready to hang/display with the proper hardware (i.e., paintings framed with wire).
- Media accepted: painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media.
- Dimensions: Wall mounted work max size is 40x40 inches (12 inches deep for wall mounted sculpture).
- Max Weight: 25 lbs.
- Submitted work must remain available for the duration of the exhibit - January 4 - February 5, 2022.
- No changes to information can be made once submitted.
Image Format Requirements:
1. Submit image in .jpg format.
2. Include the following annotations:
a. Artist’s name
b. Title of Artwork
c. Date of completion
e. Size in inches: Height x Width x Depth
f. Price of artwork
All artwork submissions will be reviewed by the juror, Stephanie Jacinto. All artists will receive notice of acceptance or rejection for their submission.
Selection criteria includes:
- Does the artwork comply with the submission requirements? Failure to follow submission requirements will result in immediate disqualification from consideration.
- Uniqueness and originality
- Visual impact
- Demonstrated excellence of technique
Eligibility: Artists who work in the following media: painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media.