Images | Minimum:Min. 8, Maximum:Max. 10
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 8, Maximum:Max. 10
State: New Mexico
Visit Las Cruces invites artists and artist teams to submit proposals for the design and installation of a permanent exterior mural for the Las Cruces Visitor Center. We seek a vibrant, memorable, welcoming concept that is reflective of our diverse culture. Interactive murals that allow the public to engage with the art and present photo opportunities are of the highest interest.
The Las Cruces Visitor Center is located at 336 S Main Street and serves as the southern gateway to the City’s downtown. The building is the location of Visit Las Cruces offices and is frequented by visitors, newly relocated individuals and community members. The building design is contemporary southwest with a neutral colored, stucco façade. The façade selected for the mural is east-facing with approximately 800 square feet of surface area. Artists should take into consideration the signage on the façade as well as the landscaping that is located in front of the building.
Located just north of the U.S.-Mexico border, on the homeland of the Manso people and the Piro-Manso-Tiwa community, Las Cruces and Doña Ana County are home to a multicultural, "borderland" community where nearly 69% of the County's population is Hispanic/Latinx. The City is the second-largest in the state, home to New Mexico State University and is located in a region with deep ties to agriculture and the expanse of public land that surrounds it.
The chosen artwork will: Be site specific, culturally appropriate and prominently include the text “Las Cruces”.
The total budget for this project is $40,000 includes all costs associated with the mural, including, but not limited to: materials, artist design fee, installation labor, travel, per diem expenses, equipment rental, varnish, insurance, taxes and any unexpected expenses.
Application Requirements are as follows (incomplete applications will not be considered):
- At least eight digital images of previously completed work, which may include multiple views. Please review and adhere to the image and media preparation page on café when formatting your images or videos. Tutorials can be downloaded using the links near the bottom of the page. By default, CaFE will organize the images in our submission alphabetically. If you wish to present the images to the Selection Committee in a different order, you must prioritize the images before submitting an application.
- Image citations describing each completed work that you submit for reference. Citations should include a brief description including name of project, year of installation, material(s), location, budget, and any other relevant project information.
- A brief statement of interest, limited to one page, by the artist or principal contact (for artist teams). Please address why you want to be a part of this project and how your artwork will be a reflection of the community. Include any relevant biographical information.
- A resume or CV (for each team member, when applicable) demonstrating relevant work experience and training.
- A vision statement explaining your vision, including a sketch is encouraged.
The selection criteria shall include, but is not limited to: the professional qualifications of the artist/artist teams as evidenced by the supporting materials, proven ability to undertake projects of the described scope, artistic merit and superior caliber craftsmanship as evidenced by the images and the suitability of submission to project intent and site. A selection committee comprised of local stakeholders will select three to five semi-finalists. All applicants will be notified of their application status by 26 September, 2022. Semi-finalists will receive a $350 honorarium for a detailed rendering of the proposed artwork and will present their concept to the selection committee. Presentations may be given in-person or virtually and will be completed within 30 days of the notification of selection.
All artists and artist teams with the ability to meet the application requirements are welcome to apply. The artist or art team ultimately awarded the commission project will be required to enter into a Professional Services Contract with the City of Las Cruces and will work with a project manager to complete the mural.