Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 5
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 5
Budget: 8,000 per bench to include design, fabrication and installation of the bench. Selected artists shall receive one-half of the honorarium upon execution of contract and one-half upon delivery and installation of the work.
The Old Town Keller Improvements Project is aimed at upgrading the infrastructure in one of the oldest areas of the city, and also includes amenities like landscaping, street lighting and public art. The city hopes to foster the development of Old Town Keller into an arts and entertainment district, with an eclectic blend of restaurants, shops and services. The portion of Bates St. where the public art benches will be installed will be reconstructed as a festival street featuring string lighting, gateway structures and food truck accommodations. Street construction is anticipated to begin in early 2022. The ideal bench will be useful, aesthetically pleasing, and contribute to the place-making goals of the improvements project. The City of Keller will provide a 4"x6" plaque for each bench to include artwork title, artist name and year of installation.
Artists are invited to submit up to three original designs for consideration. Each design shall be submitted as a separate application. General criteria: Benches must be of original design and execution. No designs that include advertising, soliciting, campaigning, or other promotional or commercially-driven entries are eligible. This project is intended to be artistic. Projects can be submitted by a group of artists, but specific contractual obligations may apply. A variety of materials may be used including concrete, stainless steel, glass, etc. Benches must be safe and able to withstand the harsh Texas weather with no maintenance for a minimum of 20 years. Artist must be willing to coordinate with the Bates Street design team and contractor selected by the City of Keller. Benches should be comfortable and able to seat 2 adults.
Phase I - Applicants are asked to submit sketches of proposed benches that will be reviewed by the Board. Phase I Applications shall only be accepted via https://www.callforentry.org/.
- Artist statement including comments on process
- Description of the bench: size, composition, how it will be stable, comfortable for public use
- Sketches/drawings from multiple angles of proposed bench
- Work examples/portfolio of previous site specific public work (minimum of 2 and maximum of 5 images should be uploaded under the Work Sample Section)
- Phase 1 submission deadline is February 18, 2022.
Phase 2 - Finalists will be invited to further develop their proposals and prototypical bench to include detailed working drawings showing dimensions and placement, materials and methods of installation and anticipated process and timeline. A stipend of $150 per design will be paid for this work. Phase II submissions shall be made via email to email@example.com.
For Phase 2, Applicants must demonstrate their design complies with the following criteria to work within the constraints of the Bates Street construction plans prepared by the project engineer:
- Benches shall be placed on concrete slab as installed by the Bates Street contractor with a minimum thickness of 6 inches utilizing City of Keller standard sidewalk reinforcement. Anchorage to concrete shall be designed by Artist and shall utilize a minimum of two anchors per base plate and at least two anchor points per bench. Anchors shall be minimum ½” diameter stainless steel expansion anchors.
- Geometric Criteria:
- Overall Length - 10 feet maximum
- Overall Width - 30 inches minimum, 36 inches maximum
- Seat Height - 17 inches minimum, 19 inches maximum
- Design must include space for a 4 inch x 6 inch plaque to be affixed to the bench. Phase 2 submission deadline is April 14, 2022.
Artists will be notified via email on or before June 10, 2022 if they have been selected. Upon notification, selected artists will have two weeks to complete the Artist Agreement and any additional documentation.
City of Keller Public Arts Program
P.O. Box 770 Keller, TX 76244
Eligible artists must reside in Texas.