Days remaining to deadline: 15
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $55.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 3
Event Dates: 10/13/22 - 10/16/22
Alexandria Museum of Art is the premier arts center of Central Louisiana, providing quality programming, exhibitions, and events, as well as outreach programs, taking a collaborative approach to meet the educational and cultural needs of our community.
For over four decades, the Alexandria Museum of Art (AMoA) has promoted understanding and appreciation of art through exhibitions and educational outreach programs. The Mission of the museum is to foster a culturally rich community by engaging, enlightening and inspiring individuals through innovative art experiences.
2022 JUROR: Suzie Baker
Suzie Baker is an award-winning artist whose paintings are regularly on display in magazines, prestigious national shows and plein air invitationals. She became president of Oil Painters of America in 2020 and holds signature status in that distinguished organization as well as the American Impressionist Society, American
Women Artists, and others. In addition to being a still life and portrait artist, Suzie has been painting en plein air since she was a teenager. A sought-after instructor, for her humorous and informative style, Suzie teaches through her instructional video, Color Magic, and in workshops around the United States, Europe and close to her home in the Houston, Texas area.
Event Details: The Farm to Forest Plein Air Festival will be held October 13-16, 2022 in Alexandria, Louisiana at the Alexandria Museum of Art (933 Second Street, Alexandria, LA 71301). Please see below for tentative schedule of events.
Note: While festival dates have been finalized, individual event dates/times may change.
|Thursday, 10/13/22||10:00 am - 2:00 pm||Artist Check In at AMoA|
|3:00 pm||Quick Paint Challenge 3:30 pm, location to be confirmed|
|Friday, 10/14/22||All Day|
Museum open for art drop off 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
|10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Artist Workshop with Suzie Baker (Additional registration required)|
|Saturday, 10/15/22||All Day|
Museum open for art drop off 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
|Sunday, 10/16/22||12:00 pm||Deadline for art drop off|
|4:00 pm||Palette Party & Awards|
EXHIBITION & SALE RULES
- Canvases and/or paper must be stamped with AMoA’s Farm to Forest Plein Air stamp. Stamping will be available Thursday through Friday 10am to 4pm and Saturday 10am to 3pm at the Alexandria Museum of Art (933 Second Street Alexandria, LA 71301).
- All works must be completed during the Farm to Forest Plein Air painting event.
- Artists may paint as many paintings as they choose and may display them at their designated wall space. All artwork can be dropped off at the museum lobby and will be hung by museum staff.
- All paintings displayed in the museum must have accompanying label and info card attached.
- Paintings and drawings must have hanging hardware to be displayed in the museum. Gallery wrapped pieces accepted as long as they are able to be hung on the wall.
- Materials allowed
- Canvas, panel, paper, copper, wood boards, etc. of any size up to 16”x 20”
- Oil, acrylic, pastel, watercolor, gouache, ink and pencil are all acceptable mediums
- Artists may paint at suggested daily locations or may choose to paint in any area within Rapides Parish
- Check-in at museum Visitor Services to obtain label cards. Each artist will receive 2 cards for each piece – one for the buyer and one to be retained by the museum. The card for the buyer should be placed on the back of the painting.
- Pieces must be no larger than 8" x 6"
- Work must be stamped
- Works do not need to be framed but must be able to be hung
- All art sales will be split 70% to the artist and 30% to the museum.
- Artist will set his/her price.
- Artists will receive their payment within 3 weeks of the event. No payments will be made during the competition week.
- Commissioned pieces will be permitted at the above-mentioned 70/30 rate. All payments must be processed through the museum.
- Off the easel: Artists are allowed to sell off the easel. They will be provided with two label cards, which will be filled out with painting details such as artist name, painting title, medium, location and price as well as the buyer’s contact information and form of payment.
- For credit card transactions, please call the museum or find a staff member with an iPad for processing.
- Checks must be made out of AMoA. For Cash or Check sales, artist will notify the museum and bring in the payment in a timely manner.
- Museum Sale: Artists are invited to bring in finished paintings to be hung in the museum galleries. Works should be framed and wired, with the label affixed showing painting details clearly. Sold paintings will remain hung up, marked with a red dot sticker until the end of the event, so they may be eligible for awards/prizes.
- Artists will be responsible for picking up or shipping any unsold paintings.
Join us on Friday, October 14 for a Quick Paint Challenge, a timed open-air painting event open to the public. Quick Paint participants will set up within a designated area with a stamped blank canvas or paper and their supplies. Painting will start at the sound of the first horn. At the sound of the second horn, brushes must be placed down. The finished pieces may be sold off the easel, or submitted to be hung at the museum.
- Quick Paint event will be held on Friday October 14, at 3:30pm to 7:00pm (sunset is at 6:36pm)
- Must be stamped, we will be on site to stamp materials one hour prior to the beginning of the event
- Artists will have 2 hours to paint, from 4pm – 6pm
- Public invited to observe
- 2 categories – Professional and Amateur (or “Open” or “Non Juried”)
- All works will be available for sale on site, Quick Paint awards will be presented after competition
Final cash awards to be announced at the Palette Party, October 16, 2022
- First Place - $1,000
- Second Place - $750
- Third Place - $500
- Artists’ Choice – Ad in Plein Air Magazine*
- Peoples’ Choice - $250
Housing is available on a first come first serve basis. Once artist has received notification they have been accepted into the show, please contact us to arrange housing.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
By entering this competition you are granting the museum a non-exclusive perpetual license to produce images of your artwork for promotional materials.
EXHIBITION OF WORKS
The museum will be keeping the finished works up from October 17 – 28, 2022 to give the public extra time to purchase works. Exhibit is optional for artists. Please note, artists are responsible for arranging return of works either by providing prepaid shipping labels or arranging in-person pick up.
Please submit 2-3 samples of plein air work completed within the last 3 years.
- Artists must be 18 and older to participate in the Farm to Forest Plein Air Festival
- Artists must work in 2D medium
- Artists are responsible for their own transportation while participating in the festival; framing of works; and shipping/picking up works after the exhibition period.