Images | Minimum:Min. 10, Maximum:Max. 15
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 10, Maximum:Max. 18
The Arts Commission of Greater Toledo, ProMedica Health Systems and the Chop House Restaurant has convened a Design Review Board to commission a large, hanging, glass, dichroic glass, or acrylic installation to be installed in a 4-story atrium above The Chop House restaurant in the headquarters for ProMedica. We seek contemporary work that is airy, bright, whimsical and is visually interesting from every level of the atrium. The work may take advantage of subtle airflow through the atrium and could incorporate kinetic elements.
To view ProMedica’s mission and values visit:
The budget for this project is $40,000 This includes all costs associated with the commission including, but not limited to: materials, fabrication, transportation, documentation of the work.
An additional line item will be made available for the installtion of the work. This includes lifts, anchors, hardware, cabling and all other expenses related to the installation of the work.
During the preliminary selection meeting, three artists or artist teams will be chosen as finalists by the design review board and invited to submit a proposal for consideration. Each finalist will receive $1,000 in compensation for all expenses related to the development of the proposal. Up to $1,000 will be made available for expenses related to site visits, including travel and lodging. Artists will be notified of their status by phone or email no later than February 17th, 2020. Artists are responsible for providing accurate contact information to The Arts Commission. A phone or video-conference interview may also be conducted at the discretion of the design review board during the final artist selection meeting.
The project is open to all artists residing in the United States, age 18 and over, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical or mental disability. Artist teams are eligible to apply, including teams of artists from multiple disciplines.
The Arts Commission reserves the right to change the project timeline. Depending on the schedule of the selected artist(s) and that of The Arts Commission, the project start date will be mutually agreed upon.
HOW TO APPLY
Artists and artist teams who are interested in this project must prepare and submit the following items.
- Letter of Interest: The letter should be no more than one page and should explain the artist’s interest in the project.
- Resume: If submitting as a team, one resume for each team member should be submitted.
- 10 Digital Images: Submit 10 digital images of your professional work. Images must be submitted in the following format:
Number Order: Please note that the Design Review Board will review a limited portfolio in round one of the selection process. In this round, candidates will either move on to round two or be eliminated based on images 01, 02, and 03 of their portfolio. Candidates should organize their images accordingly and ensure that their body of work is best represented in these first 3 images.
- 3 Professional References: Submit a list of at least three professional references that have an intimate knowledge of the artist’s work and working methods. The list must include complete addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Statement of intent (1 page maximum): Individuals or teams may choose to include a short written statement discussing concepts for this project. Individuals or teams may briefly outline a specific idea for a project or may discuss a less formalized direction for a work. Please do not include budgets, sketches, models or renderings at the preliminary stage. NOTE: Panel members will be aware that the statement of intent is an optional component and it will not count against an artist or team not to include one. This is provided as an option in order to benefit emerging artists with fewer qualifications.
- Video (up to 3): Submissions may include up to 3 video examples of work that is kinetic.