Entry Fee (Entry fee for first piece 44th International Watermedia Exhibition): $35.00
Media Fee(Additional fee per entry): $15.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Event Dates: 3/7/21 - 4/1/21
44th International Watermedia Online Exhibition
· Entry submission begins via CallforEntry.org (CaFE): Wednesday, October 7, 2020 via https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=8120
· Deadline for online entry submission is 11:59pm MST on Friday, January 8, 2021
· More than $7000 in prizes
· Online Exhibition Opens Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 3:00PM CST
· Questions: International Watermedia Exhibition Director Tom Kraycirik, email@example.com (713-907-0012)
· Cash Awards: 1st Place-$2000, 2nd Place-$1200, and 3rd Place-$1100
· Special Awards: Odette Rubin Memorial-$1000, Board of Directors- $500, Jack Bowen Award-$500
· Merit Awards: $175 each
· Honorable Mention Awards: Ribbons
· Only one award per artist
· Winners are notified by phone and/or email on March 6, 2021
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the uncertainties associated with hosting this exhibition, a number of changes have been made: This year’s IWE will be an Online Exhibition with the potential for the award winners to have a special gallery exhibition - government health guidelines permitting.
The 44th International Watermedia Exhibition selection will be conducted in two phases:
Selection to the IWE: The Juror, Keiko Tanabe, will select approximately 100 paintings from those submitted to participate in the online exhibition. The exhibition will open Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 3:00pm CST and will conclude on Wednesday, April 1, 2021. Images will be posted online during the exhibition period on the Watercolor Art Society-Houston website and an archived catalogue will also be available on the WAS-H website during the remainder of 2021.
Verification: The Juror will then propose a selection for awards from the paintings in Phase 1. Artists of these works will be asked to send their framed paintings to the WAS-H Gallery in Houston. Their work will then be examined by the ‘Screening Committee’, verifying conformity to the rules in the prospectus. If COVID regulations allow, these works will be displayed in a special exhibition at WAS-H. Award winning paintings are to be shipped with prepaid shipping labels to the WAS-H Gallery at 1601 West Alabama, Houston, TX 77006 to arrive no later than close of business day Wednesday, March 3, 2021. If a selected artist elects not to send their painting for verification they will forfeit their opportunity for an award but will be included in the online exhibition.
If the COVID-19 Pandemic subsides and normal routines are established, the selected award-winning framed paintings shipped to WAS-H for Verification and top awards will be hung as a special exhibition from March 7, 2021 – April 1, 2021. Handling Fees will apply for paintings exhibited in the special exhibition: $25 for hand-delivered paintings, $50 for shipped. If this special exhibition is not possible, paintings will be shipped back to the artist. This special exhibition will be promoted and gallery sales will be handled as normal.
Buyers interested in paintings posted in the IWE Online Exhibition or the archived catalogue will be asked to contact the WAS-H gallery at 713-942-9966 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The buyer’s inquiry will be forwarded to the artists or their representatives according to contact information listed on their CaFE entry form. All sales will take place privately between the artist and the buyer. WAS-H is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, and will accept a donation of 20%. For in-gallery sales, WAS-H will retain a 25% donation.
Meet our 2021 Juror:
We are pleased to announce that Keiko Tanabe, NWS, AWS, NAWA, AIS, will be our Juror and Major Workshop artist for our 44th International Watermedia Exhibition. Keiko is a mostly self-taught watercolor artist and has exhibited in shows across Asia, Europe and America. Keiko is published in America, Japan and Europe and to date has completed nine books. Keiko is a well sought-out juror and major workshop instructor. In 2015 she was named an official Winsor & Newton ambassador. In 2018 she sat on the advisory board for American Watercolor Weekly, and in 2019 she was invited to be a faculty member for the Plein Air Convention & Expo. She currently lives in San Diego, California. You may read more about her here: https://www.ktanabefineart.com/about
Eligibility and Requirements:
· Artist must be 18 years of age or older.
· Up to three entries per artist.
· Nonrefundable Fee of $35 per entry, or 2 for $50 or 3 for $65 (one painting per artist might be exhibited).
· If you submit three paintings, please use code IWE2021 to deduct $5.00 from your total. This code is only applicable for the third image.
· Artwork must have been completed within the last 24 months by entry deadline.
Water soluble media
· At least 80% water media: watercolor, acrylic, gouache, egg tempera, casein, ink. NO water miscible oil.
· Abbreviations: WC-Watercolor, A-Acrylic, G-Gouache, E-egg tempera, C=casein, I=ink
· Size: A minimum of 123 square inches or 793.54 square centimeters (height x width) as measured inside the window created by the mat.
· Also, a minimum of 9 1/4 inches or 23.5 centimeters on any side as measured inside the window created by the mat.
· Maximum size is 48 inches or 122 centimeters (including the frame) in any direction.
· Paper, Yupo, Claybord, Aquabord, or Gessobord, paper-based board (illustration or art board).
· Canvas is NOT accepted.
· Abbreviations: P-Paper, YP-Yupo, CB-Claybord, GB-Gessobord AB-Aquabord.
· Photo references allowed, but they must be artist’s original source material and NOT derived from any published references or from photographs NOT taken by artist.
· NO digitally created images.
· NOT painted from another's painting.
· NOT painted under supervision or from teaching DVD or book.
· NOT accepted in any previous WAS-H Annual Member Exhibit or WAS-H International Watermedia Exhibition.
· NOT repainted from previous winning image.
· Only original artwork (no giclées, copies, etc.).
Signature Membership and Elite Signature Membership is a designation, awarded to WAS-H members only who have been accepted into the IWE three or more times. To qualify, an artist must be a member in good standing each time they initiated their submissions that were accepted. (See WAS-H website for rules).
· Collage allowed as long as water media is the dominant element.
· All collage materials MUST be artist’s original designs executed on water media paper. Any printing, images, or coloration on collage materials must be performed by the artist.
Less than 20% watercolor pencils, pastels, wax accents/resists, charcoal, graphite, metallic water-based paint, water-based iridescent paints.
Yes. WAS-H reserves the right, nevertheless, to refuse entries that are obscene, controversial, or in bad taste.
Pricing regulations only apply for works sold in WAS-H Gallery [if special exhibition is possible]:
· Paintings will have sales tax added at time of sale.
· Can be for sale or NFS (not for sale).
· Donation to Gallery of 25%.
· All sales include frames.
· WAS-H reserves right to negotiate up to 10% discount to secure sale of painting.
WAS-H reserves the right to photograph and duplicate works for the catalog and publicity purposes. Every effort will be made for attribution of work provided to the 44th International Watermedia Exhibition. An online catalogue will be available before the last day of the exhibition.
Entry Submission Process Using CallforEntry.org (CaFÉ)
· WAS-H uses CallforEntry.org (CaFÉ) to manage this exhibition.
· Artists should set up a profile on CaFÉ or log into an existing profile if they have one, upload their artwork as digital files and enter the call. A direct link to the 2021 IWE call for entry is: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=8120
· When uploading images to your portfolio and submitting them to the call, use the image size dimensions, NOT the frame dimensions.
SUBMITTING A WORK OF ART TO THIS EXHIBITION SHALL CONSTITUTE AN AGREEMENT ON THE PART OF THE ARTIST TO COMPLY FULLY WITH THE CONDITIONS AND TERMS SET FORTH IN THIS PROSPECTUS.
Embargoed and sanctioned country restrictions and Credit Card acceptance limitations exclude certain countries from eligibility to this exhibition. Please contact IWE Director at email@example.com for details regarding your specific country’s eligibility.
Confirming Entries for the IWE Online Exhibition
· Selection and judging will begin Saturday January 9, 2021 and go through Friday January 22, 2021. All invited exhibitors and select award winners will be notified by an Invitation Notification Email on Saturday January 23, 2021. Artists should respond to the email invitation by Friday, January 29, 2021 by either accepting or declining via CaFE. After your entry has been submitted and confirmed by CaFÉ, the art registration information cannot be revised or changed. This includes the price, title of the entry, and entry size. Check the CaFÉ website to make sure your submission is complete and has been received. Please review prospectus requirements.
· By accepting the invitation, the artist commits to participate in the online exhibition.
· The juror reviews CaFE submissions and then lists paintings as Invited or Not Invited on CaFE to participate in the IWE Online Exhibition for online display until the end of the exhibition on April 1st and in the archived catalogue until the end of 2021. The Juror will also propose the potential award-winning paintings.
· Artists who are named as a potential award winner will be invited to ship their painting to the WAS-H gallery for Verification along with a return prepaid shipping label. If an artist declines this invitation, he or she will forfeit the opportunity for an award but will be included in the online exhibition.
· These works will be reviewed by the “Screening Committee” to assure adherence to the Prospectus’ requirements. Works that do not pass final screening will be disqualified for an award but will be included in the online exhibition and archived catalogue. The Screening Committee’s decisions are final.
· Paintings that pass the final screening will be designated as Confirmed and have the potential to be exhibited in a special exhibition, health requirements permitting. If a special exhibition is not possible, the paintings will be shipped back to the artists at the earliest opportunity.
NO ENTRIES CAN BE RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE OF FRIDAY, JANUARY 8, 2021, 11:59pm MOUNTAIN STANDARD TIME (MST).
Shipping Requirements for Selected Award-Winning Paintings
· All artists whose work is selected for an award, pending Verification, will receive instructions for shipping and delivery in the Invitation Notification Email.
· All of these works must be delivered to WAS-H by 3:00pm CST on Wednesday, March 3, 2021.
· The Gallery is open to receiving artwork between 10:00am and 3:00pm, Tuesday through Saturday. Deliveries must be made at these times; no deliveries can be made after hours or on Sunday and Monday.
· ALL ARTWORK ARRIVING AT THE GALLERY FOR THE EXHIBITION MUST BE FRAMED, WIRED, AND READY TO HANG. ARTWORK “IN A TUBE” WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT THE GALLERY.
· Award-winning work will be displayed in WAS-H Gallery during exhibition dates and also on WAS-H website in the archived catalogue for the duration of 2021.
· Only one painting will be invited from an individual artist.
· No substitutions of artwork can be made after entry.
· All paintings will be considered for sale at the price set forth by the artist during the entry submittal process, unless specified as NFS (Not for Sale)
· Paintings that have been sold will be released to the buyer no earlier than 10:00am CST April 1, 2021.
Matting and Framing Regulations
· Must be framed and matted. Mat and liner (if used) must be WHITE. If a shade of white, the mat color must have ‘white’ in title when choosing the material. No toned or colored liner will be permitted.
· Only exception is Claybord, Aquabord, or Gessobord wood cradle panels.
· SIMPLE black, brown, or white frames (METAL or WOOD) as well as gold and silver toned metal frames, no wider than 2.0 inches or 5.08 centimeters as measured on the front. No frame embellishments or carvings permitted.
· Frame must be strung with wire for hanging. No other hangers.
· All submissions must be protected by Plexiglas, (NO GLASS), except for Claybord, Aquabord, and Gessobord.
· No varnished paintings (except Claybord, Aquabord, Gessobord).
· Works not suitably presented will not be accepted.
· WAS-H reserves the right to hang your painting in the manner and location we determine.
· Paid return shipping labels MUST be included.