Tri-County Arts Council
P.O. Box 406
Olean, NY 14760
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
State: New York
Event Dates: 9/25/21 - 11/6/21
Entry Deadline: 6/5/21
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Exhibition Dates: September 25– November 6, 2021
Call for Artists: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=8649
Entry Deadline: June 5, 2021
Location: Tri-County Arts Council, 110 West State Street, Olean NY 14760
Presented by the Tri-County Arts Council, and the Cattaraugus Region Community Foundation (CRCF) made possible by an endowment from the estate of F. Donald Kenney.
Open to all artists, 18 years of age or older, who are currently residing in New York State’s Southern Tier (the counties of Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Steuben, Schuyler, Tioga, and Tompkins). All works must be original and completed within the past two years. Work previously submitted to the Southern Tier Biennial is not eligible.
Works created in all visual media are eligible (this includes everything from pottery to painting to video-if it is meant to be seen then it is welcome!) with the understanding that the Biennial’s exhibition venues and format may not be able to accommodate all work. Work will not be judged by media categories. Accepted work must be finished, dry, and ready to install.
Photographing Your Work:
We want you to successfully enter this show, please submit quality, color correct photos of your work (we recommend cropping out frames and backgrounds).
Here is a simple guide to photographing your work.
We also recommend using photoshop or one of the free versions such as https://www.gimp.org/ or https://pixlr.com/e/ to correct your images before submitting. If you are submitting Three Dimensional work, you are welcome to combine several photos showing different views of the piece into one submitted image (You can use one of the above mentioned free websites to combine them)
If you are having difficulties with this process, please reach out and email Exhibition Coordinator Sean Huntington at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be glad to help!
File Type: JPEG or JPG only.
File Dimensions: 1,200 pixels or greater on the longest side.
File Size: Under 5 MB.
Color Profile: sRGB
File Type: MOV, MP4, WMV, 3GP, AVI, ASF, MPG, M2T, MKV, M2TS.
File Size: Under 100 MB.
Resolution: minimum 640 x 480, maximum 1920 x 1080
Aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9
Bit rate: recommended above 240 kbps
Frame rate: minimum 12 fps, recommended 30 fps.
Currently, linked media from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. is not accepted.
• All applications must be submitted via CAFE https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=8649 by 11:59 Mountain Time, June 5th 2021
• An entry fee of $25 must be submitted with application. Applicants may submit up to three works for consideration. Entry fee must be paid online through CAFE
• Notification of acceptance will be sent by July 3, 2021.
AWARDS & STIPENDS
For the 2021 Southern Tier Biennial, we are pleased to be able to present each accepted artist with a $175 stipend to help allay costs associated with travel, shipping, and production. In addition, five cash awards totaling $5,250 will be presented: $3,000 to the Best of Show winner ($1,000 cash and $2000 stipend towards a solo show in 2022), a $750 Juror’s Choice Award, and $500 for three Honorable Mention winners..
The Best of Show winner will also be presented with a solo show in the Fall of 2022 at the Tri-County Arts Council Gallery with a four-color catalog, and a $2,000 stipend for show expenses (materials, framing, displays, etc.).
Among the project’s benefits to accepted artists is reproduction of their work in a color catalog. Accepted artists must provide a high resolution print-ready image. Organizers retain the right to photograph and reproduce works for purposes of documentation, publicity, and catalog publication. All entrants may receive a print or electronic catalog upon request.
PACKING & SHIPPING
• Accepted works must be received by September 4, 2021.
• All works must be labeled with the artist’s name, title, media, and declared value (fair market value).
• Participating artists will be responsible for all costs of shipping to the Gallery as well as return shipping and insurance while in transit. Shipped work must include a prepaid return shipping label.
• All entries must be packed in sturdy, reusable containers and include clear packing, shipping, and installation instructions.
• Program organizers are not liable or responsible for any damage to artwork that occurs during packing, unpacking, or repacking of artwork or for any damage that occurs during shipment or transit of the artwork. Please take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of your artwork.
• Accepted entries will be insured only during the installation and exhibition of work at the Gallery.
• Hand-delivered work must be picked up between November 9 and 20 at the TCAC Gallery in Olean NY.
Sales are optional, the Tri-County Arts Council will receive a 25% commission on works sold during the exhibition.
• Program organizers include the Tri-County Arts Council.
• Program organizers reserve the right to disqualify entries that, upon receipt, differ markedly from the submitted images.
• All accepted entries will be considered as temporary loans to the Gallery and shall remain in its possession for the duration of the exhibition.
• The Gallery will assume insurance of objects upon receipt and inspection, and during the loan period. Coverage will be provided for the declared value of the work. Please note, ceramic, glass, and similar fragile articles will be covered in the case of breakage, however are excluded from coverage if items are marred or scratched.
• Program organizers cannot be responsible for minor wear and tear resulting from normal handling.
• Accepted artists may submit a resume and artist’s statement for use within the exhibition space and on the STB website.
• The submission of your certified entry form shall be understood to indicate your agreement with the terms and conditions set forth in this prospectus. Accepted artists will be required to sign a printed contract agreeing to these terms.
2021 STB Jurors:
Mizin Shin Born and raised in South Korea, Mizin Shin graduated from Hong-ik University with a B.F.A in Printmaking and received her M.F.A from SUNY at Buffalo. She is currently a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Art & Art History at the University of Rochester.
Shin's work has been shown regionally and nationally at institutions across the United States. Leading numerous printmaking workshops and giving talks with a number of art organizations, Shin focuses on both traditional and contemporary printmaking practices to promote a multidisciplinary approach to the medium. Mizin Shin is a co-founder of Mirabo Press in Buffalo, NY and vice president of the Print Club of Rochester.
Brian Lee Whisenhunt has worked in art education and museums for more than twenty years and more than anything enjoys connecting people with art. He served as director of education at the Wichita Art Museum in Kansas and was the inaugural manager of public programs for the Blanton Museum of Art when it opened in 2006. Brian then became director of the Swope Art Museum in Terre Haute, IN, where he oversaw their successful reaccreditation by AAM, and the Museum of the Southwest in Midland, TX, leading a $5.4M renovation of the art museum and the celebration of its 50th anniversary. In January of 2017, Brian became executive director of The Rockwell Museum where he is building upon their stellar reputation as a leader in arts and museum education; diversifying the collection to reflect the new focus on art about the American experience; and working to increase overall attendance to the museum, its programs and events.
June 5: Deadline to apply
July 3: Notification emailed.
August 3: Accepted artists contracts due back. Stipend checks mailed upon receipt.
September 4: Deadline for delivery of accepted work
September 25: Notification of awards
September 25: Opening reception and awards ceremony
November 6: Final day of exhibition
November 20: Deadline to pick up work and return shipping completed
After reading guidelines in full, please complete the application via CAFE: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=8649
Sean Huntington, Gallery Coordinator, Tri-County Arts Council. Contact at (716) 372–7455 or email@example.com .
Find general information at www.myartscouncil.net and www.southerntierbiennial.com.